• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where's my clutch problem?

TeeJayHoward

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an XJ I've not seen in over a year sitting at my parent's house. It's either an '86 or an '88 4 door Laredo with a 5-speed manual and the 4.0L.

The problem is this: The clutch fluid drains, and I don't know from where. If I'm just driving it to work and back, a "full" resevoir will last a week. If I drive it around town, it could last as little as a day.

How do I figure out what's gone wrong with the clutch system? It seems to me that the master cylinder would be a lot easier to replace, but I see no fluid leaking under the hood/on the firewall. Whatever's happening, is happening under the Jeep... And that's a muddy mess that I doubt's EVER been cleaned. If you told me a bird made a nest in there and poked a hole in the line, I wouldn't be surprised.

Reading up on this forum, it seems that the transmission I have is crap, and has an internal slave cylinder. This might help in the diagnosis, as I can definitely see fluid dripping on the ground after a long drive... Since my slave cylinder is internal, it can't be the slave, right? Gotta be the master or the hose? Right? Right? Please?

It's your slave. It's inside the bellhousing and yes you will see the fluid leaking. Very common problem and you have to pull the transmission to replace it.

ratherbcamping said:
It's your slave. It's inside the bellhousing and yes you will see the fluid leaking. Very common problem and you have to pull the transmission to replace it.

Well, crap. What's the cost to swap the tranny? Might just do that.

...And buy a new transfer case. Mine makes not-good noises in 4.
...Hrm. And replace my broken mirror, sagging headliner, high-beam-switch, window regulators, hatch shock, all door locks, various interior trim pieces...

Uhh... Right, anyway.

You don't need a new transmission. The slave unit comes with the clutch kit. OEM units typically last longer, but cost more.

On these models slave cylinder throw out bearing is a one piece desgin.

Back