• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aw4 rebuild question

Sabalon Glitz

NAXJA Forum User
First let me say this is a great forum. I usually find whatevery i need by searching.... except this time. Why do i read on here that the aw4 should not be rebuilt. Does it not hold up after being rebuilt? Is the cost to high? I'm just trying to get some info in case mine needs replaced. Thanks in advance.

I paid $300 for a used AW4 for my 01 XJ and sold a couple of good 21 spline AW4's for a lot less. No need to rebuild, but do start looking for a spare now. I have a spare AX-15 and 231 for my 96 XJ.

Thanks for the answers. That's kind of what i thought. Since it's a durable transmission and cheap used.. why rebuild? I have 200,000 miles on mine in an 88 xj. I've never had an auto tranny that lasted that long... just wanted to know my options for when i need to replace especially since it's a 21 spline. thanks again

Back