• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I made a STUPID!!! Centering ball Issues, how fast can I drive on my front Shaft?

jimmydaux

NAXJA Forum User
OK guys, I had a squeaky rear driveshaft thats been haunting me for the last couple of weeks. I thought it was the axle end U joint on my CV driveshaft so I had it replaced when I had my Driveshaft shortened yesterday. The tech greased everything up and the squeak went away for a day but came right back. So I pinpointed the issue to the Centering ball in the CV unit. I pulled the thing apart and and couldnt get the ball out so being retarded, i cut it in two halves to pull it out. Now my issue is that I dont have anything to pull the ball shell out of the flange. I dont have the tools or resources to deal with it up at school, and was going to head home for spring break tomorrow.

My problem and question is that I have to drive 70 miles on the interstate, and want to do it on just my front shaft. How fast would you guys dare drive on a front driveshaft alone? Ive consistently driven at about 60 in 4 wheel drive in slick conditions. I know its not recommended to travel above 50 in 4 wheel drive, but I just wanted to get you guys' input.

Also, if youve got any ideas on how to get the rest of the centering assembly out, that would be greatly appreciated as well.

I've driven 300+ miles on my front driveshaft at 55-60 mph 3 or 4 times now, and around town for up to a week at a time that way.

I wouldnt do it with a front auto locker, but on an open dif its not too bad.

im guessing you cant take your front shaft and run it out back? just taking a stab since your rear shaft is aldo a CV type shaft. like cal said you should be fine if its a open diff.

Drive normal speed & you will be OK, Just remember that the Jeep will handle differently with Front Wheel Drive only, When you are on the gas it may pull hard to one side, Expecially when making turns; So use extra caution & take it easy.

Well the whole easy swap idea of using a yoke type SYE is sounding extremely appealing right now. Bad thing is,,,, Ive got the Hack n Tap so I have to have the bolt on flange. Now I wish I was set up to be able to throw the front DS in the rear.

I think im just gonna try and limp home on back streets then.

Any ideas on how to get the ball shell out of the yoke?

I was able to have my driveline guy extract the race for the centering ball. He made it look so easy. He just used a peice of scrap steel, welded it across the top of the race, hung the yoke from a vise and had it out with 3 hits with his hammer. Having the right tools makes the job a peice of cake, once again.

I got the whole assembly back together before I had to hit the interstated. I am so relieved to not have the "angry sparrows" making noise at me anymore.

Back