• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

picked up an '01 XJ....finally! got rear-ended two weeks later

PGT FTW

NAXJA Forum User
Yep....sucks, but thankfully, I only need new bumpers, a bracket and a new exhaust (all DIY with aftermarket parts). Geico sucks...playing games, so I filed through my insurer and have about $1300 to spend (after my deductible that I hope to get once the insurance companies sort it out).

So, I need a front and rear bumper (rear is dented and I could take it off, pound it out and use some Rhino liner or something to make it look decent to save a few bucks). Wishlist - I'd like an integrated 2" receiver on the rear and a hoop for lights up front (not one of the angled ones). JCR seem to be the best bang/buck?

I have a set of OEM Canyon wheels from a Wrangler. I'd like to do a lift and run 30's or 31's...nothing crazy. Mostly for clearance and flotation for a planned trip to a friend's beach house 5 miles up the beach at Corolla, NC. The OME kit seems like a great kit, but with the budget, might not be in the cards.

I know, I know....there's a ton of info out there. I've read through a lot. RC or RE seem to be fair kits. Please, let me know what you'd do in my situation. :eek:wl:

PGT FTW said:
Yep....sucks, but thankfully, I only need new bumpers, a bracket and a new exhaust (all DIY with aftermarket parts). Geico sucks...playing games, so I filed through my insurer and have about $1300 to spend (after my deductible that I hope to get once the insurance companies sort it out).

So, I need a front and rear bumper (rear is dented and I could take it off, pound it out and use some Rhino liner or something to make it look decent to save a few bucks). Wishlist - I'd like an integrated 2" receiver on the rear and a hoop for lights up front (not one of the angled ones). JCR seem to be the best bang/buck?

I have a set of OEM Canyon wheels from a Wrangler. I'd like to do a lift and run 30's or 31's...nothing crazy. Mostly for clearance and flotation for a planned trip to a friend's beach house 5 miles up the beach at Corolla, NC. The OME kit seems like a great kit, but with the budget, might not be in the cards.

I know, I know....there's a ton of info out there. I've read through a lot. RC or RE seem to be fair kits. Please, let me know what you'd do in my situation. :eek:wl:
First off, glad to hear you're okay. If I were you, I would...
1. Pound the rear bumper back out, get a new bracket and spray with coating of your choice.
2. Get an OEM rear 2" receiver.
3. Get a front bumper from "Ukraine Train" on here; I just like the dude's bumpers, I will get one when I have the $$$.
4. Get a Rough Country 3" lift kit from Jason ("Grimus99XJ" on here).
5. Install your TJ Canyons and 30" tires.
Good luck! Let us know what you end up doing.
-Collin

does the OEM hitch tuck up well? I had a 2" aftermarket one on my Wrangler and I was always dragging that thing down creek beds. thanks for the info BTW...I'll look for those guys

the OEM receiver is a strong setup, and you're more likley to hit the tank than the receiver. so it doesn't really rob much clearance.
otherwise, my vote goes to JCR. I've got two JCR front bumpers and they've taken some abuse.

I got the Ukraine Train bumper in this week and the Detours one on order. Question is....do I get them painted body color (red) or do a Line-X treatment on them? Paint is $225 and Line-X is $150. I have a Sport....black bumper strips. I have to admit...I've thought about getting the red strips from a Classic....I like the monochromatic look, but am worried that paint won't hold up well on a raw steel bumper.

Detours rear painted red:

xjbm_smooth02_lrg.jpg

Ukraine Train painted grey:

PC050122.jpg

I've got Canyon wheels I'm going to paint gloss black and mount 30's on once I get the lift, so black bumpers tie in ok....and the price is about the same.

Just paint them yourself with some rattle cans. Several coats of primer is key to get it to look nice. I would paint them both black. I prefer semi gloss and that is what I painted my Ukraine Train bumper with. Cost me around $20 in paint and primer to paint my front bumper. I have my OEM rear bumper Line-X and it doesn't look as nice sice it is pretty dull. I have my whole jeep sprayed with Morton's bed liner so the regular type paint on the bumper looks better on my rig. If paint it $225 I would look into powder coating for sure as it would look really nice and last a lot better than regular paint would.

Here is what my Ukraine Train bumper looks like with homemade prerunner style bar up front.

bumperfront.jpg

bumperside.jpg

Last edited:
if I do it in black, powdercoating would be ok. Trying to match the red would be near impossible with powdercoat. If I paint it black, i'm happy to DIY it...I've done enough small parts...should be easy enough.

Back