• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Super 88

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
Do you guys actually think it is a worthy upgrade to toss a super kit into an 8.8? I mean this is how I am breaking it down...

I can get an 8.8 (1998) for $150 CAD for reference an xj44 is around $350

Regardless I will be tossing a locker in there so that cost doesn't matter...

My question for you guys is it worth it to run the super kit to regain the stock WMS to WMS?

I am running funny spring clamps that are pretty wide because I am having issues with my leaf springs, my main leaf is a little buggered so I am running Mr. Gasket clamps that actually clamps the leaves down. I am worried that the tires will be rubbing on my clamps or very damn close...

mrg-1293.jpg

Or option two is to buy wheel spacers which aren't much of a cheaper option and will make my WMS wider then stock... I am already running 4" BS wheels and my tires are 31x10.5

To my knowlege (and i may be wrong) but the supper 88 kit does not increase the WMS. and wheel spacers are way cheaper than the supper 88 kit. My 33's with Rockcrawler streetlocks fit just fine without spacers but it looked funky so I'm running 1in wheel spacers on the rear and it works perfectly.(got my spacers for 60 bucks, but i cant remember where)

Last edited:
In the middle of an 8.8 conversion now. I have no idea what WMS means, but I assume it ahs to do with width.

As I understand it, the 8.8 is 5/8" narrower on each side (total 1.25"). The super 88 kit makes it wider, back to the original spec.

Spacers can be had in any dimension from wheeladapter.com. Not too pricey and I dont think youre gonna break them.

I have the Super 88 kit in mine and would I do it again...I don;t know. The real advantage is the C-Clip eliminator as well as the chromoloy shafts. Much stronger, although if you get a 97 or newer Explorer 8.8, you are already super strong. Avoid the Ranger 8.8's as there are far less 31 spline axle setups, as they only came in certain models.

The Super 88 is super easy to install and I guess it's nice to know that it is so strong and not c-clip, but the disadvantage is that I can;t just go get junkyard 8.8 shafts for spares. As for correcting the width, spacers will work just fine, or a lot of people just leave it a bit narrower in the back and have no trouble at all. In fact, unless you are looking for it, I doubt you would even notice it. One caution though...When you are welding on your perches, Don't just figure the middle, as the driveshaft/transfer case lineup is different. First, put your 8.8 under your rig and attach the driveshaft and get it straight. Then set your perches and tack them. Learn from my mistake!

Whichever way you go, the 8.8 is a really awesome axle. If you consider the size of the ring gear and the size of the tubes, it is a great axle. The guys at T&T Customs swear by them and say they are outperforming their Ford 9" axled rigs. Oh, and one more thing. You will need to weld the tubes at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. Don;t weld them completely around though.

Good Luck!

Care to elaborate why not to weld the 8.8 tubes all the way around; Crash's writeup says to weld it all the way around. Is that to allow some flex into the tube or is it because a 360* weld will crack?

~Alex

Flex and because you are welding onto the cast part of the housing. The fellows at T&T were adamant about this when I was putting on some of their stuff. I really don't have any "I did this and it broke," or, "I did this and it worked better" experience, just going from what I've been told. I can tell you that I did this with mine and I haven't had a single problem to make me wish I had fully welded them. That includes baja-ing down rough trails and getting on it with the wheels lodged between rocks.

4x4groupbuy has the super 88 kit on cheap right now Jeff.
Where are you finding that 8.8 so cheap, up here I can't get it less than $750, seriously. For that I can get one near you and the 88kit... dang.

This is the only axle I am looking to swap too in the near future, strength, size, discs, also so I can put an Aussie in to match the front.

beakie said:
4x4groupbuy has the super 88 kit on cheap right now Jeff.
Where are you finding that 8.8 so cheap, up here I can't get it less than $750, seriously. For that I can get one near you and the 88kit... dang.

This is the only axle I am looking to swap too in the near future, strength, size, discs, also so I can put an Aussie in to match the front.

I got my Super 88 (and D30 Chromos, and ARB, etc.) from 4x4groupbuy--great product and great service from groupbuy. Call Jason and he will take care of you.

I run a super 8.8 and am very impressed with it. It DOES add width to a stock 8.8, back to stock D35 or 8.25 width. The only broken 8.8 i've ever seen was on an F150 after it had slid into a curb and only bent the axle shaft flange. The super 8.8 shaft flange is much thicker as well as having a larger wheel bearing with an inner race. The stock wheel bearing is not tapered and rides right on the shaft. All good things to upgrade.

The only downside I see is you can no longer use junkyard axles but I think that is a non issue with less than 37s or larger and way more horses than our 4.0 can muster.

Struggle On.

Back