• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catback exhaust install locations

LAcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Just wanted some advice from you guys. I am looking at buying a dynomax catback syster from sierraracing.com (152.00 total or so) and I was wondering if you guys could recommend someone to install it for me. Better yet, I know some of you guys are pretty handy with a torch, and I wouldn't mind learning abit. Anyhow, I called a shop, and the guy said $60-100 for installation. I might be wrong, but it looks like all it entails is cutting the old one aft of the CAT, and then using the U clamps to hold it in place... I don't know what do you guys think can I get it done cheaper?

Thanks for your advice...

Al

I once did one with a Hacksaw and some exaust clamps from autozone

What year XJ? My dynomax setup was only a hundred or so.

$20 sawsall from harborfreight.

XJ is a 96 sport 4.0 auto 4x4.

MarkW... 100 dollars? where did you get it, if I may ask? Also, Is it the cat back system (meaning it should fit right up with no problem...) I'm just wondering if there will be any welding involved. How do you like the sound? Not too loud I hope, more throaty?

CaliGold: huh?? harborfreight? is that a webside. Sorry, new here, and i'm not too familiar with that.

Harborfreight is a tool store that sells mostly cheap chinese tools. Some stuff is good for the home hobbyists like some of us with less duty cycle on the tools.

The closest one to you is probably in Simi Valley. Here's the $20 sawzall:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=4095

It'll make taking the old exhaust a breeze, but still easily done with a hacksaw if you don't mind working a little. A decent hacksaw may even last longer than the HF sawzall. You probably can get it off with one cut. 2 at the most.

Thanks for the info Caligold- I think with the dynomax system, there shouldn't be an cutting or welding.. it should slip out and slip in... We'll see.

I paid 40 for my cat back installed

cool.. was there any welding involved? yeah.. I thought it was pretty ridiculous that some people were charging me 100.

When I get the system, I'll just say, look can you do it for 50, or not?

I welded just because I used a cherry bomb and had to account for the offset that the stock pipe has. I used a tail pipe that I got from autozone that is damn close to oem. I was sold on the price of 16 bucks. If you get a stock type muffler you should be ok with using clamps

Back