• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires LTBs or Truxxs???

themud

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my jeep is not a DD but the trails are sometimes 1-2 hours away via streets and of course when we do get rain wet weather traction is a huge plus..
The tires im considering are super swampers LTB 34x10.5 but Im not too sure about the tread life and streetability for the to the trail and the occasional run around the town to a friends shack for work or to pick up the kid from day care...
the other tire is Truxxs MTs 33x12.5 which is better for the road but Im worried about sidewall durability and chunking in the rocks...
It really doesnt get driven much on the street but I still have reservations about the bias ply given the trails can be 2 hours away and more noise would not be a plus in my book...

those who have used both or either chime in please I have searched extensively but none compared these 2 tires together...
btw the drive train can handle either and so can the loose nut behind the wheel..
themud

LTB's are hardcore offroad tires. Tough, exellent tread for diggin, not so great on the road, I would guess horrible for ice, the other is aso decent offroad but good on the road and in the snow if that matters. My 2 cents.

Yeah, the LTB's are a hard core trail tire. The Trxux are pretty good, especially for ice but they are heavy and can be hard to balance well. I just went with the Cooper Discoverer STT's and they are a very good combo. Good siping for ice, nice street maners and the only thing I''ve been stuck in since I got them was a bank of snow about 4' deep. I am truely impressed with them, they were relatively cheap and they also look pretty hard core.

Scottsdale Arizona gets a tad hot. I herd LTBs melt like butter when on hot asphalt.

LTBs are NASTY. way better then trxxus which is just a little better then your average MT IMO.

buddys got ltbs on his dd and they dont wear nearly as fast as everybody has said they would. and im locked f/r with 35s and in mud he could go everywhere i could open/open

why 10.5s? unless you are only doing mud.

ltbs are great offroad, they drive fine onroad, i'd expect you could get 20k out of a set before they were completely worthless. I drove on mine 3+ hours to trails before, even beadlocked. Airsoft pellets work wonders.

Ramsey Im just wondering about the around town stuff and daily traction for streetage hows the flat spotting and how long does it take for it to smooth out and wouldnt the ltbs be heavier than the truxxs???
I did look at the coopers but for 190 per tire thats nuts I can get a 35 for 12-15 more for each tire...
Stump I am worried about the super hot temps eating up the tread faster on the ltbs in the summer but I usally dont wheel much when its 110+..
Btw its not there wear Im worried about on the ltbs my rig doesnt see enough street miles(its a third vehicle) the only reason why I was looking at the truxxs was for a more friendly street ride but thats only because the ltbs are bias ply...
also how bad is the noise on the ltbs I can just turn up the stereo but I currently have goodyear mtrs(33s) and they are sure noisy as hell(in my opinion)...keep the response coming...

10.5s not for the mud its the weight I was trying to keep down I do have 4.56s but going to 34s wont help the giddyup and go factor much but neither will super heavy truxxs...
which weighs more I wonder?
themud

would siping the ltbs help in the wet weather and would it tear up the tires faster if I siped them...

Last edited:
my rig is trailered.. I run the truxx's over the ltb's because they seem to be much grippier on the rocks.. Mud they go but arnt the best.. Snow they are awesome.. Mine dont have any wheel weights on them or anything and they go just fine down the road.. The lugs are coming apart on them sligtly but thats from turning on pavement with the rear locked :rolleyes:

Around town they were fine, even after sitting for a week or two they would round out in a few minutes usually. Noise was not all that bad, but I'm not picky about it either. Once you run a bias tire you will not go back to radials, I had chunks out of the sidewall thicker than most radial sidewalls and they kept on going.

Checked on intercos site, they both weigh 58#

Siping may help, but they are soft already and chunk up pretty good. Also, you can't beat the price. I ordered my 42" tsl's a couple months ago, had I known about the 40" ltb coming out soon I would have gone with those, best tire I have ever run.

hey ramsey how do they do it the rocks both wet and dry and how bad is the chunking and does it affect the tires badly???
thanks
themud

I don't play in the mud. They do great in the rocks, but you need to either run narrow wheels 7" or run beadlocks. The chunking isn't too bad, just adds more biting surfaces.

it looks like the ltbs are out they are on national backorder just for giggles I checked with discount tire after no one else had em and they said it was a 5 month backorder:hang: thats nuts....the truxxs are starting to look good also maybe trepador 35s or maybe baja claw bias this is so damn hard to decide!!
themud
the trep are awesome im told but are like 75-80 more PER tire and the claws might be good too just dont know about durability vs streetablilty??

Back