• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noob needs advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwill1

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
I just purchased a few acres in the Texas hill county to use as a weekend getaway. The realtor who showed us the property drove us there in a Kawasaki Mule. The mule bottomed out once and almost tipped over twice on the way up
willy_nilly.gif
The drive from the road to the top of the hill is about 3-4 miles, and is fairly steep. The worst part is the condition of the washed out "road", with foot deep holes and foot tall rocks protruding from the surface.

I now need to buy a vehicle that is capable of driving a family of 5 to the land (about 90 miles away from our home), then climbing the hill. I am not set on an XJ, as I was also looking at older solid axle Blazers (yes I know this is a Jeep forum, sorry).

Based on the above description,
Any thoughts on what you would get for around $6,000:

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/572040939.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/595412203.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/car/594381598.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/car/594872775.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/571760019.html

cheers2.gif

yea probably not the best section to post this, but. ill give my opinion. with a family of 5 id be looking into something bigger for that 90 mile ride. 5 people, gear, water, food, ect. your gunna be cramped. the ads you posted look to be some nice and modified XJs, but i would recommend test driving one with all your family in it first. to be honest, id look at suburbans, excursions, something in those lines. unless of course your looking for an off road vehicle that gets into tight areas with ease and can handle some pretty rough abuse, then buy the XJ.

The camping will only be overnight, maybe 2 nights, so we won't pack that much. I purposely ruled out Suburbans and the like because this way there is no room for the mother-in-law to go with us. :D

kwill1 said:
The camping will only be overnight, maybe 2 nights, so we won't pack that much. I purposely ruled out Suburbans and the like because this way there is no room for the mother-in-law to go with us. :D

i like the way you think!!!!

itll be tight packing em in but youre not gonna be doing this trip all the time right? as long as it has a roof rack, and you can buy or build a cargo carrier that slides right into the trailer hitch too, ive used one for mule deer hunting for years on the back of all of my rigs. the one with 31's and ez lockers gets my vote, id offer him 4000 or 4500 and go up from there. grand cherokees are nice, but that one you posted didnt say anything about gearing, so its prob stock on those 33's, could lose alotta power with a i6, but that v8 will make up for that most likely.

this is easy
i would go with the locked cherokee the 2000
or any of the cherokees for that matter

blazers are reliable but when you do break something, parts are rare and expenseiveeee as heck

cherokees on the other hand are 10 times more reliable and the parts are dirt cheap (unless you break something serious) but for the most part...

also you can have more fun in a cherokee and the aren't top heavy like a lifted blazer...
i've had a lot of my friends tip their blazers

one of my friends had a K-5 and tried to "flex" and a rock that was only about a foot and a half tall...next we knew he was bottom side up..it was ugly..but also quite amusing considering after that i just got in my cherokee and drove right up it....

CHEROKEE

CHEROKEE

CHEROKEE

CHEROKEE

CHEROKEE

CHEROKEE

Five people in an XJ is tight. The only way to do it is if all of the kids get along :Dand you install a roof rack for gear.

Have you looked into fullsize Cherokees? A bit more room inside for passengers and gear. Plus, they're cool.:)

five people in an XJ is a bad idea. the rear occupants will not be comfortable unless they don't have knees and you are 5'6" tall.
I like my XJ, but if I had camping gear plus five occupants I probably would look at something larger.

fubar XJ said:
Five people in an XJ is tight. The only way to do it is if all of the kids get along :Dand you install a roof rack for gear.

Have you looked into fullsize Cherokees? A bit more room inside for passengers and gear. Plus, they're cool.:)

X2. the full size cherokee definatly gets my vote.

Sorry, I couldnt' look at the vehicles you are looking at but, I do have some experience with xj's and long drives. I love my xj to death and would vote it as the most reliable 4x4 suv. However, they are a little tight with 5 people in them unless they are young kids not in car seats. You could look into a two or 4 door tahoe. This would give you more room if your kids are a little older and for the most part will hold up under moderate off road abuse plus drive well and give more room for the trip there.

A stock xj will go dang near anywhere better than a stock tahoe of course though. If you ever need to pull something heavy like a small tractor for working at the site then a tahoe would come in handy.

the full size are rare around here and the one's I have seen are in pretty sorry shape. The room wont be that big an issue as the three kids are still small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back