• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS? TPS? O2 sensor?

jimmydaux

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, Ive been having quite the quandry runnin for the last few months on my XJ.

I have stuttering problems and have searched High and Low for some specific answers but cant seem to find them.

I'll do my best to describe the symptoms so this can hopefully help people out later.

1998 4.0 aw4 np231 192,000 miles
Replaced cracked manifold with APN Header about 2 months ago
Replaced o2 sensor at the same time with a unit from OxygenGeek.com
I never have starting issues.

1. Throttle would stutter and buck when trying to maintain speed.(consistent throttle and onlly in one throttle position) It would happen regardless of engine temperature or operating time. Eventually this threw a CEL saying it was the tps which I suspected. I replaced with a new unit from AutoZone because they had a 2 year warranty.

2. A similar problem started a few weeks later, this one was differant though. It was more erratic. It would stutter over a larger range of throttle positions. It would backfire through the intake. If I were to hold the throttle consistent it would continue to stutter so much that speed would not increase. If you were to floor it, it would jump up and go. If you were to let off the throttle and go right back to where you were before it would seem like it reset and the engine ran perfect.

3. I warranty exchanged the AutoZone TPS. This seemed to fix the problem or at least make it better. After about 2 weeks it started again. The syptoms were just like #2 above. It seems to be more consistent this time. Either that or Ive been able to pinpoint the behavior a little better. From a cold start for the first 5-10 seconds of driving it wont do it. Immediately after that the stuttering will start in the lower throttle positions. It will cycle through about 3 times and then be fine. (cycle being... Stutter, release throttle, reapply throttle, ok for a second, then start stuttering again, repeat) After those cycles run through, it runs like a champ. No issues, no hesitation, no stuttering. If I were to turn the engine off for 30 minutes or so, it would have the same problem, even though the engine temperature is still very warm. Once again, after the stutter cycle completes it runs perfectly.

With how it behaves, Im almost wondering if it is the o2 sensor that has issues. I wouldn't think that the TPS would be off an on so predictably. Its almost like once the o2 sensor heats up from the exhaust or the o2 heater the problem goes away. If it sits for 30 minutes or so, the exhaust may have enough time to cool down and cause the problem again momentarily until it heats back up. The only time its caused problems is when I try and cross traffic or merge and it stutters. I can easily let off and reapply the gas and it jumps back to life.

Do you guys think this problem could be the 02 sensor, or do I try and get a better TPS sensor from napa or the dealer? Or am I overlooking something as a plausible culprit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,,

Jeremy

Our 99' is doing some of the things you have described.

Put a fuel pressure tester on the fuel rail and fire it up...

Tape it to the hood so that you can read it while driving and watch it as the jeep cuts out.

This will tell for certain if the pump is good.

I stared a thread just above yours about the pump info.

XJR

ParadiseXJ said:
I've heard that adjusting the TPS can improve similar symptoms, especially on a new part that's not performing like it should (if in fact it IS the TPS). I've never done this, but I keep it handy in case I ever need it.

http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/TPS.html

a 98' TPS is NOT adjustable.

Have you ever replaced the fuel press regulator?

No. Wheres that located in the 98? Would it be a fuel problem even though it only does it for a few seconds and even resets with releasing the throttle?

jimmydaux said:
No. Wheres that located in the 98? Would it be a fuel problem even though it only does it for a few seconds and even resets with releasing the throttle?

The reg is in the center of the fuel rail.

Our 99' will do the exact same thing.
Our TPS is new.
Starts sputtering, get off the gas and then back on and its fine.

What happens is the fuel volume is reduced allowing the pressure to build back up. When you get back on the gas, the pressure is restored so it runs good again.

Ever had a problem starting? When warm?

Have you noticed anything with the level of fuel? As in does it run well with a full tank opposed to 1/8th?

Fuel pumps go bad in a number of ways.
Low pressure...(worn vanes)
Bad brushes on the motor (dead)
or temperature changes (just wore out)

Also does it do it with low fuel, it could be the fuel sock fell off the pickup.
It would suck air bubbles when the tank is low.
Have you run it low?

XJR

Last edited:
I have run it low and it sputtered when starving for fuel. Every time its done it recently it has had close to a full tank. Any explanation for why it only does it a few times and runs great after that? Thats the part that really puzzles me, like something is warming up and working well after that. Could the pump have to warm up maybe? That could be a possibility. I just dont have a pressure tester to check the fuel pressure. I may just have to bite the bullet and get one though.

jimmydaux said:
I have run it low and it sputtered when starving for fuel. Every time its done it recently it has had close to a full tank. Any explanation for why it only does it a few times and runs great after that? Thats the part that really puzzles me, like something is warming up and working well after that. Could the pump have to warm up maybe? That could be a possibility. I just dont have a pressure tester to check the fuel pressure. I may just have to bite the bullet and get one though.

You can rent one from your local auto parts store.

Our 99' does the same thing... will run fine for days, then out of no where, climbing the pass to come home it will just start sputtering and losing power.

When the pump warms up it expands, creating a looser fit between the parts. A full tank would not allow the pump to warm up as the fuel will cool it.

Your issue seems to be slightly different then mine.
If I run a 1/8 tank and drive for more then 10 mins it will go south every time. Your seems to be more erratic. I would look into renting a gauge and go from there.

Apparently our pump has been going bad for over a year because it has had the exact same symptoms, they have just been getting worse.

Rent the gauge, it can tell you regulator or fuel pump.

I am betting its your regulator because of your symptoms.
Regulators can be a PITA to diagnose since they can be bad and working just fine.

XJR

jimmydaux said:

The fuel pressure regulator is located on the top of the fuel pump in the fuel tank.
It is not mounted on the fuel rail.

McQue said:
The fuel pressure regulator is located on the top of the fuel pump in the fuel tank.
It is not mounted on the fuel rail.

hmm That makes more sense to me...

What is on the center of the fuel rail?

I was told the thing on the fuel rail was it.

XJR

XJRubicon said:
hmm That makes more sense to me...

What is on the center of the fuel rail?

I was told the thing on the fuel rail was it.

XJR

A fuel damper is located near the center of the fuel rail. The fuel damper is used only to help control fuel pressure pulsations. These pulsations are the result of the firing of the fuel injectors. It is not used as a fuel pressure regulator.

Hey if anyone searches this thread, I found the problem. It was a bad oxygen sensor from Oxygengeek.com. Their product was faulty. I dont know if it was a one time deal or if all of their stuff is sub par. I replaced it with a bosch unit from autozone and it immediately fixed the problem.

Back