• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rockkrawler arms not working with crossmember

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Well now im stumped so im coming to the experts after some searching and not real good luck. Im installing the rockkrawler 3 link on my 89 cherokee with a 5 speed and about 6.5 inches of lift and came to a big hump. The mounts for the 3 link use the back two crossmember holes and unfortunatly my crossmember is using the front two holes. I cant just move it back as the transmission mount wont work. I initially called rockkrawler before ordering as I saw it was for 91 and above models but they told me it was because of the differnt motors offered in earlier years. Anyone come across this problem or have any pictures? Also can I just use the front two crossmember holes or will that not work?
thanks

I did with a different kit and had the guy who built it make the arms shorter. I am just guessing but I bet you have a early model year 89XJ with the Puegot tranny. I believe the later models made in 1989 came with the much stronger AX-15 that had the tranny mount on the back bolts.

If you do have the Puegot BA-10 tranny you should just take it out now and swap to a AX-15 tranny. It would move your mount back and be a much stronger transmision! I blew up my Puegot tranny the second time I ever wheeled after it was lifted on 32's. I have been driving and wheeling on my AX-15 tranny for 6 years now without a problem!

i know i should do that but i just put an sye in my 21 spline np231 and i would hate to have to go to a 23 spline now for the ax-15. My tranny still runs and shifts fine as well.

You can always swap a 23 spline input into your transfercase, that is what I did. For the same price as that input shaft you could buy a used NP231 with a 23 spline input and swap your SYE onto that new case. You might as well just get rid of that POS tranny before it leaves you stranded It was not meant to be used in a 4X4, it is a light duty tranny.

Well where im doing the long arms isnt exactly the most ideal spot for a big swap like this. Is there any other long arm kits that will work with this older 5 speed setup i could use for now and if the tranny goes i can just move back to the more common crossmember mounts? I took a glance at rustys but they use the back ones as well.

I have a kit that is only a 3 link like the rock crawler and is made for the older 5 speed trannys with the cross memeber on the forward bolts. I might be willing to trade and give you some extra cash for your rockkrawler long arms. It was made by a local guy who has a small shop, his company is centerline motorsports I believe. I like the kit but have a AX15 which I addapted the mount for to work with the shorter arms. I want to switch to the factory mount and longer arms. Let me know.

Back