• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions on welding my chrysler 8.25 on 33's

Tyquan

NAXJA Forum User
My spyder gears are shot...again, on my 8.25. At this point I want my friend to weld my rear so I can save some money. I do wheel my truck and I have a heavy foot. My truck shiftes at 3 or 4, sometimes 5,000 rpms lol. So that should give you an idea of how heavy my foot really is. My question(s) are what are the chances that the welds will break loose and reak distruction in my diff? Is this a bad idea since my truck is my daily driver? Can the welds hold up in 4 low while im doing some hardcore off roading? Also is there a technique to welding the spyder gears? What exactly should you weld and shouldn't weld? Would it be a good idea to take the spyder gears out of the carrier and weld them then put them in already welded? Is that possible? Thanks for any advice/input.

Last edited:
I really don't think you wanna do that on a daily driver. Pulling into a parking space will become a 14 point ordeal...

Tyquan said:
Parallel parking will be the least of my worries.

Quoted for the truth, for a dd this is a horrible idea, your turning radius will be horrid and your tire wear will be even worse.

Find a better method, if you are on a budget go with a lunchbox locker or something.

-Kyle

It will make it unsafe to drive at speed on road + you will need new tires every 1k miles (If you are lucky).
I would Just get a lockright or aussie (Or whatever is available) to replace the damaged gears.

yeah u deffinatly don't wanna weld up ur DD if u think replacing ur spider gears is expensive just wait till ur buying tires, axles, leaf springs, and evently a whoel new diff. once the welds go, trust me you want to just buy a posi of some kind it might be more expensive at first but it'll save you alot in the long run

Thoes lockers that replace the spyder gears are soo expensive. I can get a used 8.25 for $225.00. I can change my driving habbits if I have to. I work at firestone so tires wont be a problem. I need some mechanical input on this subject matter.

Ive rud a welded thirdyfive on a tj and the turning radius was not that bad. The thing I hated the most was the looks I got when it started shacking and sturdeing when it was turning.
weld the spiders in the carrier. and also weld the spiders to the carrier any where metal touches. Then take it easy untill you can upgrade.
If you are hard on it you will break a shaft (ask me how i know that) ANSWER slaming it in second at about 5 grand and dump the clutch on black top.SNAP

get a locker...worth the money and no horrable tire wear!

well even if tires aren't that big of a deal for you u'll stil have the problems of breaking axles and leaf springs
in case you don't know how it'll effect ur leaf springs it's because ever turn and hard acceleration u'll get whats called axle wrap which is your axle articulating backwards and forwards as each wheel breaks and regains traction this effects yoru leaf springs because in order for the axle to move like that to warps the leafs into an "s" shape do this a few times and you'll be spendign a little more tiem at the junkyard then u may want to. u might already get axle wrap with ur current setup but i garentee it'll be 5 times worse with it welded

Last edited:
Tyquan said:
Thoes lockers that replace the spyder gears are soo expensive. I can get a used 8.25 for $225.00. I can change my driving habbits if I have to. I work at firestone so tires wont be a problem. I need some mechanical input on this subject matter.

a lunchbox locker is too expensive yet tires arent:huh:

are you just waiting for somebody to say go for it or something?

Bottom line is its a horrible idea for a DD but its your jeep so go for it.

-Kyle

i have an s10 with a spool in it which is just like welding up the spiders i tried drivin to the race track it was the worst drive ever you dont want to weld them up unless it is just a trail rig driving in the rain is worse one tire hits a big puddle and hydroplans your going to start spining i have done it.

Tyquan said:
My spyder gears are shot...again, on my 8.25. At this point I want my friend to weld my rear so I can save some money. I do wheel my truck and I have a heavy foot. My truck shiftes at 3 or 4, sometimes 5,000 rpms lol. So that should give you an idea of how heavy my foot really is. My question(s) are what are the chances that the welds will break loose and reak distruction in my diff? Is this a bad idea since my truck is my daily driver? Can the welds hold up in 4 low while im doing some hardcore off roading? Also is there a technique to welding the spyder gears? What exactly should you weld and shouldn't weld? Would it be a good idea to take the spyder gears out of the carrier and weld them then put them in already welded? Is that possible? Thanks for any advice/input.

Do your Jeep a favor. Weld all the doors and hood shut and walk away. End of story.

Back