• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pop in steering

seriousjeep06

NAXJA Forum User
so when i turn the wheel back and forth, somethings popping. ive been told it could be the steering box, but im not sure how to check that. im a newbie to steering components so any ideas what it could be?

stock lifted we need some specs. Most likely it is the trackbar. The "frame" side usually comes loose and pops. If you park with a tire right up against a curb and turn the wheel the pop will be there. If you have someone else to turn the wheel while you are under there you will see the mount or end flexing and popping

seriousjeep06 said:
also the steering while driving seems real loose and pops if i make a tighter turn

you might also want to look into your TREs/Ball Joints being bad, i expierenced the same thing and it turns out that my TRE's are shot so i just upgraded my steering all together.

-Kyle

I have this problem, the actual trackbar mount on the frame side has play. It moves back and forth, but the bolts are tight.

I have the same problem and in my case its the steering shaft.It happened after I cranked the steering wheel with the engine off.....guess the sector shaft didn't like moving my 34's without power assist.

could still be trackbar when you turn the wheel when against the curb, the axle is being pushed sideways.

easiest and cheapest thing to do is lube all the TRE, especially the trackbar TRE and balljoints. whenever the trackbar on mine pops, its because it needs some fresh lube.

could be tie rod
or tie rod ends
or ball joint
of if you have Disconnects those rub and pop if they get rusted

lots of things
but steering box is also a big one

I may have to weld some support for my trackbar mount also, I've got some popping noises from my steering also. I also am in need of TREs. Don't know if mine are bad, but I bought a JKS HD tie rod and it doesn't come with TREs. WTF? Anyways, I don't want to reuse my 150k mile old stock ones with the new HD rod...

Soft rubber in your control arm bushings will compound issue with track bar.

When you have someone else turn the wheel side to side don't just use your eyes, feel it.

I'd put $ on the track bar
The tapered hole in my mount was soo bad I ran out of threads, used washers- lost articulation. Bought new TBar, didn't help, replaced mount with used mount, wallowed mount flucked new TBar in turn flucked used mount. I replaced it all with KOR TBar conversion
Morale: Do it right the first time and save $$

Back