• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My shopping list, what do ya think?

Saint

NAXJA Forum User
I got a big shopping list going and was about to order the whole thing last night, but i wanted to get with the trusty people of :NAXJA: and get some outside opinions, It pretty much goes like this....

All of the following is from Rusty's
8.5 coils
6.5 leafs
Front and rear shocks
upper shock conv.
Brake lines
HD track bar with frame mount
Steering brace, pitman arm
SYE kit
And misc. bolts etc Total with shipping was about $1800

Going to order gear and lockers aswell but not just yet, where and what kind im not sure of yet.....

Now, a little explaing, yes i want that big of lift, and im not wondering bout the quality of Rusty's parts, i have had nothing but good experience with them and dont really have a problem with them. I am building my own Long arm ( with some help from some trusted guys)

Started look at my list and wonder since im piecing it together if it would be better to order different things from say different places to save some cash for other things. My first big question is this,

Q. If i went with RE leafs and Shackles for rear, would it be and different ( flex, ride hieght) the price diff, between rustys and RE is enough to consider it.

Q. As far as the rest of the list goes, give me your opinion and what you think i could do better/different and please explain why.

Thanks!

I think that you aren't actually looking for what we would think, as you told us up front you're already aware just how lousy the parts you are buying are. ;)

The Rusty's HD trackbar could be single worst product to ever be bolted to an XJ.

I'd rather have one of those stupid tornado things for your intake.

what about control arms??? opps, just reread and your building long arms

doesnt rusty have a new HD trackbar coming out?

cal said:
I think that you aren't actually looking for what we would think, as you told us up front you're already aware just how lousy the parts you are buying are. ;)

The Rusty's HD trackbar could be single worst product to ever be bolted to an XJ.

I'd rather have one of those stupid tornado things for your intake.

Let me clear that one up, i have been impressed with rustys coils and leafs springs, thats it, other than that i have no experience with them but because of the sting on the leaf spring to the wallet i was considering RE. Also i want to hear you suggestions on what a better product would be in the place of the one you dont approve of, Thanks:yelclap:

It doesnt matter how much more "heavy duty" it gets.

It won't change the fact that his welds just fall apart, his ".250 DOM TUBE" is often 3/16 or 1/8, and "i dont know how that happened" is the best you get, half of the orders he ships are missing parts or hardware, and lets not even go into the way he treats his customers (thats not to say everyone has had bad rusty's service experiance, but everyone *I* know has..).

Saint said:
Let me clear that one up, i have been impressed with rustys coils and leafs springs, thats it, other than that i have no experience with them but because of the sting on the leaf spring to the wallet i was considering RE. Also i want to hear you suggestions on what a better product would be in the place of the one you dont approve of, Thanks:yelclap:

I have a buddy here that bought a set of rusty's leafs and coils. The coils arent bad, the leafs keep unwrapping (@ the bushing). I may buy him some RE leafs for his birthday.

I know they used to be made by the same spring vendor yada yada, they aren't anymore.

As far as the trackbar goes .. if you can make your own longarm kit, make your own trackbar. Use the RE mount and brace, and do the rest from scratch.

Thats an awful lotta lift....8.5" coils?

JNickel101 said:
Thats an awful lotta lift....8.5" coils?

I saw that, and I kept waiting to see "rusty's shortarm lift", when it wasn't there I let the 8.5 slide..

Thats gonna give him a pretty high COG....but to each their own.

cal said:
I saw that, and I kept waiting to see "rusty's shortarm lift", when it wasn't there I let the 8.5 slide..

:confused1 LOL, there will be no short arms anywhere insight!

And yes the lift is a bit big, but yes that is what i want.

What kind of difference are we talking about as far as flex and what not with Rustys leafs vs Re with shackles?

Im feelin' a not so good vibe coming from people in regards to Rustys offroad...... :hang:
Where the love, people? Kinda makin me think a little, but then again that whats this post is for.......

Last edited:
Saint said:
:confused1 LOL, there will be no short arms anywhere insight!

And yes the lift is a bit big, but yes that is what i want.

What kind of difference are we talking about as far as flex and what not with Rustys leafs vs Re with shackles?

why would you want that much lift?

I would go RE with their shackles.

-Kyle

When you start talking a 6.5"+ leaf, you arent going to get great flex either way.. too much arc on the leafs.

I dont think it will be a massive difference in flex, but if you wanted to do it right, you'd be looking @ Skyjacker 8" coils and either RE 5.5" leafs or Big Off Road leafs, probably.

And any trackbar but that one. I might have some old pasta i can glue together to make one..

Build your own when you build your longarm kit?

What do you plan on doing about steering? Stock won't work @ 8 inches of lift, and what you do about steering can affect what you do for a trackbar.

Whats your budget on steering like?

The only thought i gave to steering wast the Steering brace from rusty's, but i knew better upgrades would follow..........

What do you suggest?

Saint said:
The only thought i gave to steering wast the Steering brace from rusty's, but i knew better upgrades would follow..........

What do you suggest?
a 1 ton OTN setup would be my choice. Or you could run a currie setup OTN.

or there is the ORO setup but they only recommend using that setup with max 6" of lift so you would have to talk to them before purchase.

-Kyle

Kyle Deidrick said:
depending on your budget a 1 ton OTN setup or the ORO kit if you have the money.

-Kyle

Was going to do the Over the Knuckle set up down the road somtime, but i till need a brace dont I?

Back