• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think that I found the perfect axle

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
The 1990's mazda mpv mini vans have a ford 8.8 rear end with an electric locker already set up for a four link. has anyone ever heard of this swap being done for a rear four link?

Interesting find. Does it have disc brakes? what's the width on it?

That could be interesting. At the moment I have a '95 Jeep XJ and a '95 Mazda MPV 4WD sitting in the driveway side by side.
Though I don't think my Mazda has an electric locker in the diff, I know it has an electric centre diff lock as in the transfer case, or maybe I have got that wrong as well. No low ratio, but I have been some interesting places with it.
Do you know what ratio the diff is?

Check the spline count by pulling the shafts.

28 spline is for the rangers and such and 31 spline is the same as an 8.8 out of an explorer. If it is 31 spline then let everyone know and people might use MPV's instead of explorers.

from the ones that I saw at the wreching yard the 2wd models have a smaller rear axle and discs but the 4 wd that was there had drums. I would think that it is more likely the 31 spline because they weigh over 4000 lb. just a factoid the one my parents had when I was a kid had a full belly skid plate stock. I wonder how beefy the transfercase is then if that is where the locker is.

Last edited:
Back