• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine dies then comes back in sharp turns

Alucard226

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I've got a 90 XJ cleaned the tps, air intake, new gas tank, fuel filter ive ran a can of sea foam through the gas & numerous fuel injector cleaners, but when i take a 90 degree turn (such as a right at a light or pulling out of my road onto the main road) my beast occassionally dies halfway through the turn i keep all my electrical no backfire noise or miss but the tach drops almost to zero and it loses all throttle sometimes for 2-3 secs sometimes for 5-praying i dont get rear ended secs. does anyone have any tid bits that might help this, my fuel pump makes an occassional high pitched whine while pumping & i read that means its going bad could this be my problem? many thanks for any info you all could give.

my first guess would definitely be fuel pump. Check your pressure at the rail.

Also check the voltage at the connector by the tank. If it's not getting enough voltage, the ballast resistor on the drivers side fender could be junk.

I haven't had this problem but I think I read about others who have and the problem turned out to be inside the tank, the fuel pickup I believe. Does it happen more when the tank is low, say 1/4 or so??

Haven't checkd the cps yet, but yes it gets worse as the tank gets closer to empty, checked to make sure my gauge was close to accurate it also "runs out of gas" before it gets to the end of the gauge

my 98 does it when im at around 1/8th of a tank and turn hard left and accelerate. I believe it has to do with the fuel pickup's physical location in the tank, aparently in the front and left side of the tank.

Your's could be a similar situation, especially if it does NOT do it when you have more than 3/8-1/2 a tank of fuel?!?! Maybe?

Back