• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap good gears

Avoid Genuine.

Yukon's okay, Dana's very good.

Search for "Genuwhine" by Rawbrown, probably about a year ago. He went through the big list of builders and ranked 'em.

Drop in axles with 4.10 gears can be had out of a 4 banger Cherokee for a lot less then paying to have your axle regeared in most cases. If you have 3.07 now you will also need a new carrier for the regearing If that what you have I then know the drop ins will be a lot cheeper.

The price different between good gears and cheap gears will be a drop in the bucket. Don't waste your time on cheap gears, it'll end up costing you another gear setup.

Figure $200-400 per axle just in labor. Badron is right about the carrier, the break is at 3.54. If you're starting with 3.07s, you'll need another $60 carrier for the D30. Unless you're putting in limited slips or full case lockers, those are another story.

The big advantage to 4.10 4cyl axles is that they're pretty easy to install yourself. No offense intended, but by the fact you're asking this question leads me to believe that you don't have the tools or the knowledge to install the gears yourself.

As far as brand goes, my D30 runs Dana gears. I've ran both Precision and Superior in my 8.25, and been happy with both.

Mike at complete off road sells sets with master installs for $379.... I have nto found a better deal anywhere. And he is a good guy to deal with.

ChiXJeff said:
T

Figure $200-400 per axle just in labor. Badron is right about the carrier, the break is at 3.54. If you're starting with 3.07s, you'll need another $60 carrier for the D30. Unless you're putting in limited slips or full case lockers, those are another story.

I would like to make it limited slip but I don't want to put a lot of money into it.

ChiXJeff said:
The big advantage to 4.10 4cyl axles is that they're pretty easy to install yourself. No offense intended, but by the fact you're asking this question leads me to believe that you don't have the tools or the knowledge to install the gears yourself.

No offense take. Your right, I've never changed gears before, just lube. As for finding 4cyc axels, down here I can't find many in the yards at all.

ive got some low mile professionally installed d30 4.10s by yukon for cheap if you want em.

no such thing as good CHEAP gears.

I bought Motives for my 8.8 almost 2 years ago. Don't remember the price but they were cheap, been holding up good sofar and don't make a bit of noise.

Back