• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

instrument cluster noises

kellen

NAXJA Forum User
2000 Cherokee with the full cluster. Sometimes while driving I hear these noises coming from behind the cluster. Sounds like squirrels pawing away back there. Probably some electrical crossover, however everything works as normal.

Going to remove and reseat the cluster. It had the TSB to update the rear connections.

Any ideas?

My 2000 does the same, but only now and then. Sorry I can't help as of yet since I haven't spent time on it to figure it out yet. All I can say is you're not alone!

Odd thing is I just had the TSB on the rear connectors of the cluster done. Had a no bus error. Perhaps I'll try to blame the dealership and get it fixed for free.

LR_2000_XJ said:
My 2000 does the same, but only now and then. Sorry I can't help as of yet since I haven't spent time on it to figure it out yet. All I can say is you're not alone!

Does yours go away with a good smack to the top of the dash or pushing on the cluster? Mine does.

Well I haven't tryed that yet, but the squeek varies on the trail's vibes and bumps. Sometimes it just goes away. I have removed the gauge cluster to see if the connections were at fault for the ABS light staying on most of the time, turning off only momentarily, and did not find anything that may cause the squeek. But I was not looking for that at the time. I'm sure if it gets to a point that it agrivates me enough, I'll just go crazy with the silicone spray behind and under the dash, if I still can't find a sane solution of course.

My 2001 suffers from the same issue, It sounds like a high voltage electrical Arc behind the upper driver side dash!
It comes & goes once every couple of months, I have no Idea what is causing it.

We had a 99 making noises like that and i swore it was the Speedo Cable, turned out to be the Distributor gear going out!

Last edited:
Back