• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 Vs 95

LadyCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having to give serious thought to replacing my 91 Cherokee with a 95, just what type of mechanical differences will there be engine/performance/service wise?:dunno:

LadyCherokee said:
Aren't there more electronics on the 95?
Can you be more specific? What exactly are you going from? 2.5 no option 4 banger to 4.0 with all ammenities? Are you going from manual to automatic? Both years are 4.0 H.O. so there's not much difference there.

Well, I have a 91 Laredo, 4.0/auto/power steering/brakes/ 225k/ with synthetics for the last 140k, but due to a recent accident she has front end damage that may be too costly to do. So my guy wants me to trade it in on a 95 Country, 4.0/auto/power steering/brakes/157K, and a difference of about $3K? I love my 91, read an article in Peterson's a few years ago that that was the best year, fuel injected, but nothing else computerized. I like to keep it simple, and repairable!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
i think the airbag thing is true. Everything has been computerized on the Cherokee since 87. The trans, Engine most operating systems. Cherokees are good rigs. And the country is really nice, If I was going to buy another Cherokee I would buy the country model. Your basically looking at the same everything on each Jeep.

jk333 said:
i think the airbag thing is true. Everything has been computerized on the Cherokee since 87. The trans, Engine most operating systems. Cherokees are good rigs. And the country is really nice, If I was going to buy another Cherokee I would buy the country model. Your basically looking at the same everything on each Jeep.

At least in the year range the O.P. specified anyway.
Major differences are 87-90, 91-96, and 97-01.

I have a 96 Country- it has an airbag- but no lights, no control module, just according to alldata a mechanical only system in the hub, just behind the wheel...other than that, as far as I can tell, nothing much changed from 92 to 96.....

If it is your DD then another note would be the side impact beams added to the front doors from 94 on. Otherwise electronics are pretty much the same. In fact they started using a heavier relay on most things like for the fuel pump even though they are the same part numbers the newer style have a better coil in the relay's. In 94 and on they also did stiffen the body up some.

95 will have somewhat different seats and steering column, with an all-mechanical driver's side airbag. I prefer the earlier version of both, but the later ones can be lived with. I never much liked the position of the wiper switch or the horn buttons. The later seats lack the rocker base of the better old ones, and aren't quite as comfortable, but they're decent. Otherwise, little to choose. The 95 will also have a non-disco front axle, a plus, and may have better brakes (I'm not quite sure when the upgraded booster, etc. came in, but it is definitely present on a 95). If it's a non-ABS model, it will have a Chrysler 8.25 rear instead of a Dana 35, and 9 inch brake drums. I think also that as mentioned above, the coil was beefed up a bit. Just about everything else will be interchangeable.

I have a 92 Sport, and A 95 Country...The country has the plastic along the bottom which on every Jeep I have seen here in Ohio starts to rust along the rocker panels. i don't know if it's coincidence or if that plastic holds in water/salt/mud. As for change...the steering wheel is just about all. also rear speakers are on the ceiling above the cargo hatch rather than on the rear hatch door...Which is a plus for me because I kept slamming tool and recreational equip. into my speakers on the 92. Other than that their the same old tank. You might even consider keeping the older Jeep for parts.

Last edited:
The 95 has the better booster, I got mine from a 94. It also has the better aux fan but not as good as the 97 up. Same with the soundbar on headliner. Stronger roof and better pwr/w/l electrics. Also has intermit rear wiper.

Another thing is a better mech fan.

Ugh, the speaker bar is one of the lesser ideas ChryCo had for the XJ... I see your point about your stuff in the trunk slamming into your rear speakers, but the sound bar is a terrible location for the speakers, its made of lightweight fiberglass (I think?) and it gives the speakers NOTHING to resonate against. The tailgate position would be much better, although I can't speak from experience as I've only ever owned the '96 with the speaker bar. Good thing I have an 8" sub to make up for the fact. Its also kind of a pain in the ass to take down and swap out speakers. Which I think I have to do, I think my wife blew one of the speakers. Could've been me, but for now I'm going to blame her! :)

jeepman121 said:
I have a 92 Sport, and A 95 Country...The country has the plastic along the bottom which on every Jeep I have seen here in Ohio starts to rust along the rocker panels. i don't know if it's coincidence or if that plastic holds in water/salt/mud. As for change...the steering wheel is just about all. also rear speakers are on the ceiling above the cargo hatch rather than on the rear hatch door...Which is a plus for me because I kept slamming tool and recreational equip. into my speakers on the 92. Other than that their the same old tank. You might even consider keeping the older Jeep for parts.

LittleRedXJ said:
Ugh, the speaker bar is one of the lesser ideas ChryCo had for the XJ... I see your point about your stuff in the trunk slamming into your rear speakers, but the sound bar is a terrible location for the speakers, its made of lightweight fiberglass (I think?) and it gives the speakers NOTHING to resonate against. The tailgate position would be much better, although I can't speak from experience as I've only ever owned the '96 with the speaker bar. Good thing I have an 8" sub to make up for the fact. Its also kind of a pain in the ass to take down and swap out speakers. Which I think I have to do, I think my wife blew one of the speakers. Could've been me, but for now I'm going to blame her! :)
The tailgate speakers may be better in theory, but they don't radiate much when there's a lot of stuff in the back.

They're probably not very clear, but the bass resonance would be better. I'd be more interested in hearing bass response from behind me, I can hear the details of the music from the fronts. Of course, not in an XJ with the stock locations, that's really another problem. Really, I mean, they just weren't built for optimal stereo performance! Hah, oh well!

Matthew Currie said:
The tailgate speakers may be better in theory, but they don't radiate much when there's a lot of stuff in the back.

Back