• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA and UCA bushing sleeves

gorman

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of fabbing up some adjustable upper and lower control arms while using Johnny Joint to provide flex and adjustability. On the other ends however I'm using new OE rubber bushings. I've asked my local machining shop to turn me some sleeves on the lathe - I just wanted to check though - the step in the bushing, is that to ensure a tight fit, or do you actually have to compensate for it by machining the one side a little larger?

getimage.php

Also JKS and Rock-Logic.Yes it really maters!

Thanks for the links to the RE superride bushes. I'm however using new OE bushes, which I already have. I know RE has the sleeves for these as well, but it's unclear as the whether they are machined for the step in the bush.

Check my location, I'd rather have sleeves made locally than having them shipped to me.

gorman said:
Thanks for the links to the RE superride bushes. I'm however using new OE bushes, which I already have. I know RE has the sleeves for these as well, but it's unclear as the whether they are machined for the step in the bush.

Check my location, I'd rather have sleeves made locally than having them shipped to me.

No they do not have an edge machined into them. From what I recall when I did mine is the smaller diameter part fit tight (could almost push in by hand but not all the way) and a 12 ton press could not get the larger diameter through. I had to go to Poly Performance to get them pressed in on their really nice press. Basically have it machined it to fit the smaller diameter then press the bushings in.

Ahh, thanks. Thats what the guy at the engineering shop told me, but I wanted to double check as I recall I've seen someone posted pics previously of his sleeves following the shape of the bush, i.e. they step up to a larger diameter where the ridge begins.

I would appreciate it if you would post the dimensions of the sleaves they make for you. The ID (w/ any step they put in), OD and Length would help me make my own. The dimensions of the bushings themselves would work as well.

Thanks

SkyChi, do you have a lathe? I'm no machinist, but my guess is that the ID dimensions of the sleeve would mimic the OD of the bush, give or take a couple of thou to allow for a press fit. The width I'd imagine would be the width of the bush. They phoned me up the other day to fetch the sleeves, they made a rough version of it and then after I've done all the welding to it, they'll line bore it to the right dimensions (somehow they figured it will distort slightly when I weld to it :dunno: ) - I'll post pics and measurements as soon as I have it.

Are you going to re-use your old bushings? They are cheap enough to just replace them with new ones, unless you've replaced them recently. Looks like quite a big fab shop your working at!

gorman said:
I'm in the process of fabbing up some adjustable upper and lower control arms while using Johnny Joint to provide flex and adjustability. On the other ends however I'm using new OE rubber bushings. I've asked my local machining shop to turn me some sleeves on the lathe - I just wanted to check though - the step in the bushing, is that to ensure a tight fit, or do you actually have to compensate for it by machining the one side a little larger?

getimage.php

if you need to see how the sleeves are done, why not look at the upper control arm mounts on the axle? this will give you an idea how it is done for the smaller bushings of the upper control arm. or take the lower control arm bushing out of the stock arm and see what the sleeve looks like. am i on track or am i missing something?

I machined my first set,it was a PITA.I bought cradles the second time,they are cheap!
17520003.jpg

gorman said:
Are you going to re-use your old bushings? They are cheap enough to just replace them with new ones, unless you've replaced them recently. Looks like quite a big fab shop your working at!

I'm gonna stop at NAPA on the way home and buy the bushings. Just thought if you had the dims. I could make the pieces before I go home.
It is a big shop and I've been here a long time. I don't work on the floor fitting or welding anymore, thank God, but I do enjoy some usefull perts. Free material, within reason, and access to the machinery sure are nice.

Thanks

RCP Phx said:
I machined my first set,it was a PITA.I bought cradles the second time,they are cheap!
17520003.jpg

They are cheap no doubt but they aren't here now. I want to install the new CAs along w/ my new drop brackets and other goodies Thursday and be ready for a run to SuperLift this weekend. With the bushings I'll pick up this afternoon it should be no problem.

What type of material is the CA in the pic.?

SkyChi said:
They are cheap no doubt but they aren't here now. I want to install the new CAs along w/ my new drop brackets and other goodies Thursday and be ready for a run to SuperLift this weekend. With the bushings I'll pick up this afternoon it should be no problem.

What type of material is the CA in the pic.?
Chromoly.BTW:I found the piece of DOM I used to machine the sleeves,it's 2-5/8"x.188" wall.

Last edited:
SkyChi said:
Did you do any machining in the ID?
I doubt you bend that chunk of CroMo anytime soon.
Yes,you can see it in the pic,it has the step for the bushing.

89xj said:
if you need to see how the sleeves are done, why not look at the upper control arm mounts on the axle? this will give you an idea how it is done for the smaller bushings of the upper control arm. or take the lower control arm bushing out of the stock arm and see what the sleeve looks like. am i on track or am i missing something?

I'm not sure how the upper mounts on the axles look like, but the lower control arms don't have sleeves. By sounds of things I guess it isn't an exact science to get the bushes to fit into a sleeve - its either a matter of machining the clearances carefully or using a heavy press!

gorman said:
I'm not sure how the upper mounts on the axles look like, but the lower control arms don't have sleeves. By sounds of things I guess it isn't an exact science to get the bushes to fit into a sleeve - its either a matter of machining the clearances carefully or using a heavy press!

the axle mount for the upper control arm is the same as a sleeve in an upper control arm.

the difference between a stock upper control arm bushing and a stock lower control arm bushing is the diameter of the bushing. my thinking is that you could just use the axle mount sleeve as a reference for the sleeve/craddle that you want to make.

Back