• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Adj Track arm

Twicepardoned

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed mine yesterday and the dang car wobbles side to side like crazy past 35MPH.
I got underneath and think I may have figured this out. The bolt attached on the Driver's side isn't in all the way. So I dropped it out and apparently it tapers wide toward the bottom at the greased ball joint.... So it doesn't fit is what I am saying. It slips in about half way... but is SO wide that it can't be 'hammered' in.

Am I crazy because I didn't get any instructions that said the existing bolt hole needed to be widened.?.?.?

Any experience with this?

What trac bar do you have? The adjustable one with the tie rod end? It shouldnt taper out, mine didnt at least. Just shove it in there and get the nut on top tight with a cotter pin.

-Alex

The TRE trac bar should have a slight taper, you are essentially pressing it into the hole. Which you should have done, to install the pin through the castle nut. If it's still to big, not sure whats going on.

This is the adjustable one.
The bolt does taper a bit... I used the air rachet, hand tighten with breaker bar and I beat the hell out of it with a wrench and it wouldn't go in all the way.

The Castle nut won't drop far enough down for me to fit the pin in.... ughhh

I have a feeling I need to dremel out that hole a bit... Is that a bad idea... I just don't want the tie rod to have too much play in it... it may not matter too much.
thoughts???

OK, I finally pulled the damn thing because the XJ is absolutely uncontrollable at times.

I put the stock arm back on and a buddy and I drove it with our heads out the window and saw that the wheels are flapping back and forth, like this /\/\/\/\/\/\/ not ||||||||

That leads me to believe it has to do with the steering NOT the track bar (Besides we put it back to stock, coincidence???)

Here's the thing, the wheel doesn't jerk AT ALL when the steering goes crazy... It has a mind of it's own and I have to literally stop to gain control again.
None of the steering brackets are broken... Can a bad steering box do this???

I had the same problem. Switched my rustys trac bar out with a tnt and never looked back.

Last edited:
Just an update... Last week I put the adjustable track bar back on and well... The tie rod broke yesterday while I was taking my kids to day care!

For the record I am pretty pissed. I might also note that 'death wobble' is the LEAST of your worries when the entire track bar breaks off... keeping the damn thing from killing you and other people as it swerves around IS a big problem.

I'm pissed... I'm pissed... I'm pissed....
These f****** will refund my money right?

sorry to hear it failed on you, hopefully you didnt coillide with anything, and all is safe...
yet another reason to say no to rustys

Rusty's isnt the problem. I have used the track bar for a couple of years now with no issues. The main question is: After the bar was installed did you do a measurement of the wheels from both sides to ensure the axle is centered beneath the vehicle? If it is not centered it will invite problems. All of the makers of track bars recommend this! Granted the Rusty's instructions are not up to par, I for one have run into this, but it is not enough to say that the part is dangerous or cheaply made.
Another thing, once you install a stronger part to any system attention needs to be paid to the next item that has now become the weak link. TRE's will always take a beating when you change a track bar and it is not fully installed correctly, switching back to stock will not fix them (kinda like breaking an egg). Sounds like you are at a great time to completly remove the steering system and inspect it and re-install all of it. I do this every year just so I put "hands-on" parts I want to make sure are well maintained. It only takes an afternoon to take it off and put it back on. Then go get the alignment checked at a shop to give a good confidence check. I am really good at alignments in my garage, but I get one done on the computer just to give me a validation of my own skill just in case.

In my advice ditch the TRE track bar and get the HD mount, it is alot simpler to use and maintain. Rusty's is fine, but all of the other makers are good also. The HD set up uses joints just like your control arms or you can get versions with johnny joints.

No one was hurt but it was scary even at just 30mph... because wobble wasn't the issue, steering was. There was hardly any reaction to steer.

I suppose I shouldn't 'blame' Rusty's but it was their bar that didn't fit right to begin with. For now I am putting stock bar back on again and calling it a day. The axles is definitely not centered but that's what I'll live with for now.

Back