• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

zerk fitting on front ujoint

jrgilchrist

NAXJA Forum User
Replacing my u-joints on my drive shaft I noticed that the old front u-joint by the t case didn't have a zerk fitting on it. The replacements I were giving at the parts store both have zerk fittings on them. Can the replacement u-joint w/ zerk be used on the front?

provided that you have room for the zerk, use it. If you run into clearance issues, you can purchase a plug for it instead-- just use the zerk to grease it and replace the zerk with the plug

I use the "bowl shaped" type of zerks for u-joint clearnance issues. There's suppose to be a rubber tip end for your grease gun to fill these types of zerks with, but I've always had miserable luck with them.

I've found it easier to just remove the zerk, press the rubber tipped end of the grease gun against the hole in the u-joint, grease the u-joint, then replace the zerk when done....

Ivan said:
I use the "bowl shaped" type of zerks for u-joint clearnance issues. There's suppose to be a rubber tip end for your grease gun to fill these types of zerks with, but I've always had miserable luck with them.

I've found it easier to just remove the zerk, press the rubber tipped end of the grease gun against the hole in the u-joint, grease the u-joint, then replace the zerk when done....

The reason you have had bad luck is because you are using the wrong adapter on your grease gun. You need a needle nozzle for flush type fittings.

http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Industrial-5803-Grease-Needle/dp/B0002SR6XE

jaburk said:
The reason you have had bad luck is because you are using the wrong adapter on your grease gun. You need a needle nozzle for flush type fittings.

http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Industrial-5803-Grease-Needle/dp/B0002SR6XE

Actually, I have one of those too; but I seem to get more grease around the u-joint than inside of it. I should have mentioned that, along with the rubber tipped end one...

Anyway, the one you show makes a big mess, whenever I've used it. I just found it easier to remove the bowl zerk and use the rubber tipped end of my grease gun.... Thanks for your input none the less....

Back