• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Change Rant...

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I went to get the oil changed on the Cherokee today. Went to a local quick lube that my family has been going to for years, never had a problem there, price was always right and the service was quick.

Pull my Jeep in, get it changed, and leave. I get halfway home (I live about 5 min. from there) and I notice a huge fuggin cloud of smoke behind me

Look down, sure enough, oil pressure is at 0. Limped it home, just as I pulled in front of my house it started to tick. Called the shop, turns out the gasket on the filter did not seal, they sent a guy out to fix it, he put on a new filter and put new oil in, and it started up fine (4.0's are tough).

I asked them about cleaning up all the oil, and the guy said bring it back to the shop and they'll clean it, so I took it there. Their method of cleaning it was spraying a bunch of parts cleaner everywhere.

Once they finished, I told the guy I wanted to take it to my mechanic on Monday to make sure there was no internal damage. He told me he wasn't going to pay for a diagnostic, and wanted me to take it to his mechanic next door. He starts telling me how my mechanic is going to be dishonest about it, I told him I'd feel better taking it to my guy, then his if my guy says there is something wrong with it. Why the hell should I pay for the diagnostic, I didn't ask for this to happen to me?

What would you do in this situation?

BAR Bureau of Automotive Repair....report it, and ask for their assistance in resolving the matter. Schmucks like that give us all bad names.

my $.02 ....find a mechanic to service your vehicle...jiffy lube, walmart, ez lube, etc....just don't cut it. There are more important things than the price.

IslanderOffRoad said:
So I went to get the oil changed on the Cherokee today. Went to a local quick lube that my family has been going to for years, never had a problem there, price was always right and the service was quick.

What would you do in this situation?

I would change my own oil........this kind of stuff doesn't happen then.

My friends mom had her oil filler cap left off. Not only did it spray all the oil out the open filler, they left it on the inner fender and it misaligned the hood when they shut it on it.

Stop going to the oil monkeys. Is it any wonder I do all my own work? I didn't even learn it the hard way!

Yes, AMC242's are tough - especially the RENIX ones. I've had mine run about four quarts low (damn blowby hose would pop loose on long trips) going over Pacheco Pass or Altamont Pass, and I had an oil pump FAILURE in my 87 once. New crank, new #6 rod, new lifters, and patch the hole in the side of the block, and it was good for another 50K. If I'd done a re-ring while I was about it, I'd probably still be driving it.

Oil pump failed at 205K, it's "promoted" to "project truck" at 270K or so. Total height (single height) of the "top cylinder ridge" at the time of the partial overhaul was .0015" - took care of that with 180-grit stones!

I may clean up the repair I did on the side of the block and see about building it as a "spare" engine for all the other stuff I've got going...

Someone show me a new engine, not Diesel, that can handle that sort of thing!

5-90

Yeah, I'd like to change my own, but my dad is pretty anal about me doing that work at the house.

So get a big "cookie sheet" to lay under while you do the work, or find somewhere you can. It's your rig, isn't it?

Sorry, but I never really have trusted the dropouts that, er, "man" these "quickie-lube" places. Before she taught me to do it, my own mum changed her own oil, and insisted I be able to do basic maintenance (rotoate tyres, change tyres, fluids, filters, plugs, points, &c.) before I get a driver's license anyhow. What's the point in "driving" a car if you can't take care of it, and have at least an idea of how it works?

As a result, I have taught both of my boys how to do maintenance and basic repairs - they've already saved money!

5-90

Its funny because everything else I do myself (for the most part, assuming I have the time/skill) I've done maintenance, suspension, exhaust, and probably every bolt on out there.

He's just always been anal about getting oil on the driveway.

IslanderOffRoad said:
Its funny because everything else I do myself (for the most part, assuming I have the time/skill) I've done maintenance, suspension, exhaust, and probably every bolt on out there.

He's just always been anal about getting oil on the driveway.

Well, no one likes oil on their driveway. That said, there are other ways of getting it done. 1. large piece of cardboard under the whole engine so NOTHING will hit the pavement. 2. friends house????? 3. You live in Simi go out in the dirt and if you drop a drop of oil it won't matter. 4. The street in front of the house. You know they oil asphalt to maintain it right???

Not trying to be a dick, just proving you have other ways its just "easier" to let monkeys do it........until they screw up :rattle:

Do what i use to do and go down to home depot and get a piece of ply wood to sit on the drive way then everu time your gona work on the heep lay it out where you wana work and it can catch the drops you have. if you get a exterior grade it wipes up pretty clean provided you dont let it soak for a while. hell now I just change it at work where my mess blends in with everyone elses

Got her back from the mechanic this morning.

No damage due to the oil fiasco, took the bill over to the oil change place and they paid it. Glad this is over.

Next time I'm changing my own.

Go to any bicycle shop, they'll be happy to give you a few of the large cardboard boxes they receive the bikes in. one alone is more than big enough. Three or four and you could cover half your driveway.

I also wear latex exam gloves when I do the oil.

Back