• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

13-15 mpg...suggestions

maybe2fast

NAXJA Forum User
okay, the xj has 193,000 on motor, rebuilt AW4.

1.5 lift
cone filter
dynomax muffler still have cat
lt1 injectors
new O2
new stock cooper plugs

I just took a trip with the truck and averaged 15.5 mpg all highway. WTF? Truck runs great but i know it has better mileage in it. I switch back to the stock injectors a while back and the truck ran like crap and got same if not worse mileage compared to the lt1 injectors so I know its not them. I have ran an intake cleaner through the intake (like seafoam but pressurized sprayed into the TB). It cleans the intake runners and valves. I don't know what else to try. I get 13.5 driving in the city and 15.5 on the express way. The tires are stock size and gears are stock. I now its a 4x4 but I know this truck can do better. No Check Engine light and the bulb works. Suggestions?

Have you tried a new fuel filter. When the fuel pump took a dump on mine, the filter was so plugged that you could barely blow through it! The only other thing I can th9ink of is your driving style. are you an aggressive driver?

I never floor it...its not worth it. I cruise on the express way at like 70-75. truck runs smooth, but I can try a fuel filter...but a clog would cause bogging

what kind of oil are you using?

any brakes hanging up?

75mph is fast for an XJ. All else equal - I bet you would get 18-19 mpg if you cruised at 60-65.

Are all of your wheel bearings in good shape?

how are your ignition wires? cap and rotor?

check for a vacuum leak.

you need to check for anything that would cause your engine not to run perfectly and/or cause increased rolling resistance of the jeep.

HTH

CaptTrev

running mobil 1

speed limit is 70...

no noise while driving or coasting like bad wheel bearings

I replaced the plate in the distributor when i first got the truck and the cap and rotor looked okay...and it runs good!

how bout a bad 02 sensor. My 94 with 31's and stock gears gets 13.5 city and 16.5 highway with new 02, exhaust, and complete tune up.

I think I am going to try a new air temp sensor next.

you just gota remember its a JEEP not a sports car.:thumbup:

I wish I got 15 MPG :-(

maybe2fast said:
I have replaced the O2, wondering if I have an exhust leak that is hindering a the o2 reading...
my pops truck(90 mj) was burning fuel and also failing smog... new o2, and exhaust manifold and its running great) it had a horrible exhaust leak....

btw, NOBODY mentioned tire pressure!
check that too

Back