• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

this should be easy, NSS ?

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought this Jeep its an 88 aw4 4wd...

well the key gets stuck in the ignition when i shut it off until i wiggle the shifter and move it through the gears a few times.

it has a new ignition as i was told by the previous owner. the problem is it wont turn back to the spot where you can pull the key out. it happens sporattically

tia

Harold

My 88 does almost the same thing, I just push the shifter all the way forward and the key comes right out. I believe the detent for the Park position is worn and does not catch in the right spot unless given the extra push forward.

wasn't there a recall for this? i think i remember reading something a while back about it.

It's not the NSS, it's the key interlock.

The recall was to install a shift interlock in the older XJs to prevent moving the shift lever out of park unless the brake pedal was pressed

I just finished a repair of the same thing on mine (88 AW4 4wd) this past week. I read about it 'til I had talked myself into believing it was the shift interlock and went to town pulling the shifter apart to get the key to turn. I found the lock cylinder was the problem (as I suspected before I started investigating it) and had it working again in an hour-- including putting the shifter back together-- and adjusting the high beam switch-- and repairing the brake switch plug I broke adjusting the high beam switch-- ........

all in all, it could be a lot of things, but I wouldn't rule out the lock cylinder as the most likely.

it is easy to disconnect the cable. Remove the shift bezel and the black insert around it (whole length of the console. The cable on the right is one one you want to disconnect and give it a good pull and you should hear it pop. Then take your key out.

thanks guys, how do i fix the shift detent problem permanantly?

Back