• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can A Grant Wheel Be Installed On A 97 Xj

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
Can agrant wheel be installed on a 97 with an airbag. I had asked this question a couple of monthes ago and did not a real answer every one started fighting about if it is legal or even safe. Thats not my question so please help. Some on has had to do this in the past my wheel is shot and can not stand the damn cover on it this is going to be a trail only rig so I feel better not having an air bag to blow up in my face if I hit the wrong bump.

pretty sure its illegal to remove an airbag on a street vehicle. Although if it was an option in 97 you might be able to get away with it.

cj11 said:
Can agrant wheel be installed on a 97 with an airbag. I had asked this question a couple of monthes ago and did not a real answer every one started fighting about if it is legal or even safe. Thats not my question so please help. Some on has had to do this in the past my wheel is shot and can not stand the damn cover on it this is going to be a trail only rig so I feel better not having an air bag to blow up in my face if I hit the wrong bump.

Key words here are TRAIL ONLY RIG. As long as you have the requirement for said trail, anything goes. Do you thing buggy's have air bags?

Didn't he reclarify that it will be a trail only vehicle? So the issue of legality would be irrelevant to his question wouldnt it? So debating that point again would be too right? :D

The Jegs kit only works up to 95 i think. That is all you can find. I called Grant and the told me I could not remove my wheel with an air bag and that there is no kit available When i asked if the 95 kit would fit they told me they could not tell me if it did. I am not worried about laws or safty (air bags are not all that safe). I guess this has never been done before I can't believe that.

Actually, you just use the kit for a TJ and it will bolt up. When it comes to legal.......well, it really depends on state to state, your insurance and the others drivers' insurance company when in an accident.

best thing i could find is:

If you remove, change or tamper with an airbag, you can be subject to the Defective Air Bag Law.

Any person who unlawfully removes or tampers with an airbag can be subject to a fine of not more than $5,000 or imprisonment for not more than one year in jail or both.

although, as it was said before, that is not really the question.

I have a aftermarket steering wheel on my 96 that used to have airbags you dont need an adapter or anyting just a basic steering wheel will fit. I bought mine without, someone put a regular nonairbag wheel on it after it was totaled.

twoksl2 said:
ha ha ha, but i'm soo hungry

i believe that the grant site said that the kit was for up to '96, but it might've said 95, their scan of the catalog was really crappy

hahaha

Thank you Jaburk I am asking if it is safe or not. I saw it on Xtrem 4x4 today and thought about trying this again I have the wheel and was looking to do this about 6 or 7 months ago. If they did it it must be possible.

jaburk said:
A Grant 3196 (listed as being for CJ and YJ) will work on '03-newer TJs

Yeah I doubt Jeep/chryco changed the spline count on there steering shafts. I know I've seen late model XJ's with grant steering wheels and I just assumed they used the early model kits. Grant doesn't list it for late model vechicles because of DOT regs on the airbags.

I can not belive all these people all these posts and no one has done this. I called Quadratec today and one person told me the older style adapter will work and another guy told me no he thinks made an adapter. I also called a couple of other places and no one knows anything.

I'll get on it once my bro sends me the steering wheel that came out of that Euro Stealth edition XJ he stripped. I too don't think Chryco changed spline counts on the column.

With the electric airbag there is a clock spring and some other stuff that the 96 and older did not have. Gradon what year is your Xj. I will keep checking back please let me know how yours turns out.

I have a 96 Cherokee that came with an airbag. I guess in this year it was the only year that the airbag didn't have wires running to the bumpers and all of that other crap. The bag sensed wrecks internally somehow. I took mine out and put a grant in it. No problem, just looks kinda funny where the plastic trim around the column and the steering wheel 'neck' meet up.

Back