• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need engine help

94xjstud

NAXJA Forum User
After I started my car up, I would hit the gas and it would die. I let it run and warm up. It still kept dying every time I give it gas. I recently ran out of gas, not sure if that caused it. I have over 3/8 tank of gas. No mechanic is open. your help is much needed. 94 xj

How's your fuel pressure at the rail? Could be clogged injectors, bad fuel pump, fuel filter clogged....

to check fuel pressure, you could use a fuel pressure gauge screwed onto the valve on the front of the fuel rail (if you dont want to buy a gauge, just turn the key to on, listen for the fuel pump to prime, then go depress the valve with a small screw driver or something, you should get a good squirt if theres any decent ammount of pressure in the system, so watch out and dont be smoking)

if you got nothing, check to make sure your fuel pump is priming when you turn the key on.... maybe have someone turn the key, while you sit under the gas tank and listen? if theres no fuel pump activity, check the fuel pump relay? and filter
btw, you might get better help in OEM tech...

Last edited:
Check your CPS and other sensor wires - I had that exact same symptom once and I replaced the CPS and it fixed it - which was interesting, previously I thought a bad CPS would only cause a crank but no start condition.

Back