• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please help

xjman4

NAXJA Forum User
ok im thinking about buying a '97 XJ two door to make my trail car. but the seller says that the car needs a jump just to start and when it is finally running it will die if you take your foot off the gas. new alternator? new battery? what all do you suggest? anyone with the same problem? what would you guys do?

That was happening to my bros ZJ. We replaced the battery with an optima red top and it went back to normal.

P.S. Its "trail rig" not a "trail car" lol

It could be many things, Fuel supply/pressure, bad ground which would throw of the ecu, if you can keep it running is the check engine light on, check the codes if so. If you have a bad possibly shorted battery and a bad alternator or ground it would not stay running soooo I would get it started and have someone keep it running (idled up) and remove a battery terminal positive or negative if it stays running the alternator is good and most likely the battery is shorted. There could be many other possibilities but eliminate the simple first.

TALLRAM said:
It could be many things, Fuel supply/pressure, bad ground which would throw of the ecu, if you can keep it running is the check engine light on, check the codes if so. If you have a bad possibly shorted battery and a bad alternator or ground it would not stay running soooo I would get it started and have someone keep it running (idled up) and remove a battery terminal positive or negative if it stays running the alternator is good and most likely the battery is shorted. There could be many other possibilities but eliminate the simple first.

thanks a lot man i will try that.

xjman4 said:
yea it revs ok. and sorry it is trail rig my bad. cherokees are defenatly not cars.

They're not trucks either...

sorry, pet peeve of mine....a truck has a bed. so unless you've chopped yours to look like an explorer sport trac....

anyway, back to the original thread...

check the battery cables, especially the one that runs from the battery to the alternator. the ends get all corroded and broken down....baking soda will clean the corrosion - then use vaseline on the terminals to protect a little.

TALLRAM said:

NOOO!!!

While removing a battery cable while the engine is running was an easy way to check the alternator on old vehicles, it's simply a good way to cost yourself hundreds in cooked electronics on something this new. DO NOT DO IT. You might get lucky but you might not too. Sounds to me like a simple bad battery or connection. It won't run right after a boost because the computer needs to re-learn after losing power. I'd pull the battery and have it tested.

Some good advice here. Really would be best if you could figure these issues out along with the current owner before you made an offer. I would concentrate on the starting/ electrical issue first. Low available battery voltage can create some weird problems. Test and replace battery/alternator if necessary and freshen connections. Then if you still have the throttle problem, chase that; could easily be a sensor, TPS does come to mind. For sure, scan computer for codes. There can be some really valuable information there that can lead you to your problem.

Now if I were looking at buying this XJ as-is with these problems, then you should definitely use these problems as leverage to lower the price. The deal should ALWAYS go to the buyer when there are known problems.

Good luck and post back what you find and if you buy!:sunshine:

I believe places like AutoZone will test your battery and alternator for free...

In responce to Tchase and his NOOOOO to my alternator test, yes there are some late models with sensitive electronics but they are hardier than you think and they will protect themselves, Now I have owned three XJ and one CJ and would not suggest something I have not done myself many times on these vehicles with no negative effects, think about it, if the battery is shorted it is not frying the sensitive electronics is it? and the alternator is already carrying the load once it is started.

JNickel101 said:
Touche`

Its a device for hauling stuff :) (dictionary says truck = motorized vehicle for transporting/carrying loads/cargo)

À la carte !! :laugh2: :roflmao:

TALLRAM said:
In responce to Tchase and his NOOOOO to my alternator test, yes there are some late models with sensitive electronics but they are hardier than you think and they will protect themselves, Now I have owned three XJ and one CJ and would not suggest something I have not done myself many times on these vehicles with no negative effects, think about it, if the battery is shorted it is not frying the sensitive electronics is it? and the alternator is already carrying the load once it is started.

This is one of those things that you could do 20 times and not have a problem,BUT it is also one of those things that could end up costing alot of money.I have personaly seen it screw up an XJ,fried ECU,CPS,TPS,blew all kind of fuses.Without the battery hooked up the alt could charge wide open for a few seconds(16v+).That quick spike could do damage.If you don't have a volt meter,the easiest way to tell how its charging is to take a screwdriver and touch it to the back of the alternator,at the center.It should have a strong magnetic pull.A weak or no pull says its not charging.

xjman4 said:
ok im thinking about buying a '97 XJ two door to make my trail car. but the seller says that the car needs a jump just to start and when it is finally running it will die if you take your foot off the gas. new alternator? new battery? what all do you suggest? anyone with the same problem? what would you guys do?

Battery. Obviously, since it needs a jump to start. ;)

But when the battery has a bad cell, the computer loses the idle settings. That is why you need to keep your foot on the gas to keep it running.

After you do this for a couple of minutes, the computer will "re-learn" the idle and will run without your foot on the gas.

I had this same issue except that my Jeep would start fine without a jump. But it did have a bad cell, which affected the idle.

Got a new battery and all was well.

ok guys just got back from the test drive and it has a rod nock. seems that it is just the battery, but i love it. so what all can i do if i buy it? if it has a rod nock is it to late to ever fix or what?:dunno:

Back