• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new homemade rockrails...

BruceB83

NAXJA Forum User
Well, after about 8 or 9 total hours of work, here they are...

rockrail1.jpg

rockrail2.jpg

rockrail3.jpg

Rails are 2x2x1/4" (yeah I know, overkill, but they were out of 3/16" and they gave me the 1/4" for the same price) welded to 1.5" angle that's welded to 1" angle. The 1" angle is bolted to to the pinch molding in 8 places. There are 2 1x3 arms welded to the rails and the 1" angle, then they have 4x5 plates welded to the other side that bolts to the frame rail. Everything other than the 2x2 rails is 3/16". These things are SOLID! I plan on creating steps/extensions for them later using probably 1.5x1.5 square tubing...they will act as a step to get up to the rack and something that will keep my doors off of trees a little better.

I'll have to take some closer pics of the underside construction tomorrow if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
Nice work! I built my own as well due to the fact I have the Currie frame stiffeners and no one makes any to fit with that set-up. I built mine out of 2x4x1/4 with 2 2x2x1/4 and 1 3/16 "T" bar each side attached at the pinch seam full length with 1/4 flat bar and 8 grade 8 1/4x20 bolts. I like the sliders to stick out past the door handles, I get a bit friendly with the trees on our tight trails.

slider1qg9.jpg

slider2ib2.jpg

slider3es4.jpg

slider4mc0.jpg

slider5ch7.jpg

slider6cn4.jpg

slider7ju4.jpg

slider8ez2.jpg

slider9df3.jpg

slider10qz9.jpg

slider11va4.jpg

slider13dc3.jpg

slider14go1.jpg

slider15ly7.jpg

Last edited:
They are not going to protect much being so close!

xjtrailrider said:
Nice work! I built my own as well due to the fact I have the Currie frame stiffeners and no one makes any to fit with that set-up. I built mine out of 2x4x1/4 with 2 2x2x1/4 and 1 3/16 "T" bar each side attached at the pinch seam full length with 1/4 flat bar and 8 grade 8 1/4x20 bolts. I like the sliders to stick out past the door handles, I get a bit friendly with the trees on our tight trails.
Not bad other than your pinch seam mounts tollay suck!

RCP Phx said:

Te only thing that seems to suck is your additude twords others accomplishments.
Not trying to burn ya but people work hard on there projects.And your opinion is just that.YOUR OPINION.Hasta I think both are good.The one would be to close for me but hey.I'm sure they'll work for you.

---JACK---

RCP Phx said:

If you have no clue what you are talking about please don't post. We can fix a lot of things, but we can't fit stupid. Do you even know what ROCKRAILS are for? How old are you, 12?

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:

Really! well after 2 years of beating the **** out of them and they have held up, maybe I should change them.......na I'll just leave 'em.

BruceB83 said:
Well, after about 8 or 9 total hours of work, here they are...
They look good! And they look familiar. A friend and I built mine a couple weeks ago.
JeepNew007.jpg

JeepNew006.jpg

JeepNew002.jpg

JeepNew001.jpg

I used the 3/16" and they are solid! I can't imagine how unbreakable yours are!

You guy's crack me up some times!The ONLY material I have found that "conforms" to the XJ rocker panel is .120"(either 1x1 or 1x1.5).Distributing the weight/load is what is all about(compare the square inches of flat stock to tubing).My most recent sliders w/ more mounting points than most want to know about.
slider%2001.jpg

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
You guy's crack me up some times!The ONLY material I have found that "conforms" to the XJ rocker panel is .120"(either 1x1 or 1x1.5).Distributing the weight/load is what is all about(compare the square inches of flat stock to tubing).
Nomination?

I like the way you got them tucked in so close like that. Here are the ones I made.
2079336677_f32749cdba.jpg

2079337231_3b83f08fc4.jpg

2080124082_2e8b854c83.jpg

Here they are newly installed, as if you couldn't tell by the gloss and lack of scrapes.:wierd:
2098469739_3cf869a0cc.jpg

RCP Phx said:

They are meant to protect from ROCKS...not trees so that point has zero validity. Later, I'm going to install some side steps similar to icewolf's friends design. It's similar to AJ's so how would it not protect anything. That's a ridiculous statement.

RCP Phx said:
You guy's crack me up some times!The ONLY material I have found that "conforms" to the XJ rocker panel is .120"(either 1x1 or 1x1.5).Distributing the weight/load is what is all about(compare the square inches of flat stock to tubing).My most recent sliders w/ more mounting points than most want to know about.
slider%2001.jpg
You must not have read my description. My 1" angle tucks perfectly up into the pinch mold to keep it from flexing or moving. The way it's built, it's NOT possible for the rails to move upwards and would have to have ALOT of downward pressure to make them budge downwards.

Yours look nice by the way...thanks for all the great comments. The 1" square tubing in the pinch is probably overkill, 1" angle is all you really need.

RCP Phx said:

Um, I built my rockers; I know what they are for. "Distributing the weight load," ya think? Since mine work as a high lift jack point I am pretty sure they distibute the weight load fine. They support the weight of the vehicle fine. You rails look good and look lke they are pretty stout, but trust, mine are stronger than they need be. My main rails are 2x2x 3/16" (.1875") they are gonna rock or slide me over any rock I come across and not bend a bit.

While at Crozet I slipped off a 3' ledge/rock and landed full weight of the jeep on my right slider at the very front. The guy that was riding with was sure I had cracked the frame or done some major damage. No damage, slid right on through and then let it slip down on the stock rear bumper and then off the obstacle. Now I will admit that I was a bit worried if they had held up, but they did. That was the hardest hit they have taken but I use them to pivot on rocks and have slid them numerouse times, too many to count now. I get so close to trees that I plan on a roof slider on the new rig I'm building.

I'm going the easy and expensive route on my new rig and buying the Detours sliders/stiffeners only due to the fact that time is a issue right now. I'm building this next one to beat the he** out of.

Back