• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Guy Building My First Trail Rig

naughty_auty

NAXJA Forum User
First Off I love jeeps, camping, and traveling, and many other things.
I always wanted a trail truck. So I picked this one and have some work I probably will have lots of questions, but wanted to share my build with you guys.

We start off with a 300 Dollar 90 jeep xj that needs some love

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

As it sits right now It needs
Tranny, bumper, header panel and corner grill, Driverside seat, passenger floor board patched, ball joints and bushings, brakes, the wanabee ABS removed, tires, and a good cleaning.

Thanks to NAXJA for George the Jeep and a lucky criagslist add o and DRsockmonkey
We get the goods

DSC_0034.jpg

One question I have is what kind of lift i have and how high it is It has add a leafs in the rear and a diferent lower arm on it other than that it's coverd in grease and dirt

DSC_0008.jpg

More to come probably with questions

Last edited:
Wow! You're serious about getting this Jeep trail ready quickly. Cool.

I don't recognize the arm, but somebody else on here probably will. Interesting that somebody installed them with the small amount of lift on your Jeep. Judging from the pictures, you might have a budget boost on it. Maybe 2 inches of lift. That might not sound like much, but with some fender trimming and 31-32 inch tires, you could hit most of the trails around here. The addition of a locker in one axle and real rock rails would be a great set-up to start with.

Can you see a plastic spacer on top of your font coil springs?

-Jeremy

Well there is no plastic perch but after wiping the road dust from the spring they are the same color as that bar. Looks like a procomp lift. grey color.

I can't wait to take it out

naughty_auty said:
Well there is no plastic perch but after wiping the road dust from the spring they are the same color as that bar. Looks like a procomp lift. grey color.

I guess that means you could add a budget boost to it for more lift if you want it. Spacers and shackles are pretty cheap used.

What size tires did you get? They look like they should work pretty well.

-Jeremy

O wow that would be cool

The tires are wildcats ext's 30/9.50/15 will work ok for the lift will be small if I find that budget boost

Now I need to find those parts too. Is it called a buget boost or just spring shackels and spacers?

Well I look up the budget boost system the best deals are

4wheelcustom's 2.25 kit
http://www.4wheelcustoms.com/Products.asp?Cat=1408
shocks are the question as i could use new shocks mine look bad
Rubicon shocks or skyjacker

Next we have Skyjacker from 4wheelparts.com
hydro shocks? http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT55271.aspx
or Nitro http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT55375.aspx

Skyjacker is only 1.75 so the first is more my flavor 2.25. But I have some type of lift in the rig with add aleafs in it. will adding another leaf make it to stiff? It seems kinda soft now so that might help.

Also the shocks in these lifts are for this lift, not really ment to mix two lifts will they be ok or should i look at diferent shocks?

Another option to look at is a bastard pack. After talking with you and hearing about projects you've done in the past this would be a piece of cake. Build a bastard pack for cheap get a 2" RE spacer from avanteone for around $40. What is a bastard pack? Here is a good writeup explaining them. Timmay built his for $11.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083&highlight=bastard+pack

So I've got a 3 inch procomp lift and now the budget boost 2.5 lift
giving a 5 to 5.5 lift rolling on 30/9.50 the tires are new
The question is

should i take a loss and go get 31 or 32 to start or role the 30's till thier gone?
I don't want to cut the truck up yet for 33's and have spent some money and probably more and the swap meet to get this truck going.

depending on how good the 30's are you could either run them or sell them.

i wouldnt put 33's on unless you did a TJ flare or bushsmacker's

31's clear great with a 5.5 on a stock flared cherokee.

it's what my cousin is running on his.

If you already have a 3" lift, forget about the budget boost and put some miles on the 30" tires and 3" lift you already have.
Concentrate on making it reliable, skid plates, bumpers, etc.
Once you have some experience with it both on and off the road then you can decide what size tires and lift you want to go to next, this will determine how you do the lift, gears, lockers, etc.

Just my opinion,
Michael

2xtreme said:
If you already have a 3" lift, forget about the budget boost and put some miles on the 30" tires and 3" lift you already have.
Concentrate on making it reliable, skid plates, bumpers, etc.
Once you have some experience with it both on and off the road then you can decide what size tires and lift you want to go to next, this will determine how you do the lift, gears, lockers, etc.

Just my opinion,
Michael
x2 this is good advice. You will figure out what you want, rather than buying something else and saying nope this isn't it either. The best advice I ever got was DO IT ONCE!!!

Do it once, do it right. Been saying that for years. X1,000,000 on the wheel what you got, figure out what you really want after some time on the trail.

Well I finaly got my other projects done. so i reassesd the truck and got to work.

First a tune up, new belt, coolent flush and replaced that bottle.

I read in the teck section about adjusting your tps to have the truck run better and possible help it shift into third. Is this true? Well I tried it and acording to the directions i get about 4.80v of voltage and 1v on the return side now that is wrong it should read somthing like 3.80 3.50v and if i adjust it it should move the voltage. but it doesn't.

What happens when the TPS doesnt work or not work right? truck runs fine starts to high idle some times.

Tomorow it's all about removing the carpet to clean it and to patch the hole in the floor board o and also remove the ABS computer.

Back