• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Question

ksmithers88

NAXJA Forum User
so i just got my 01 xj 4.0L a few days ago, so I might as well start spending money on it. But before i go out and drop 3 grand on a lift and tires, i'm curious about stock axle strength. I'm looking to do 6.5-8 inches of lift, with some 35" meats underneath. From what I've read all 4x4 xj's use the d30 front, and since i have a 2001, its either a d35, or 8.25 in the rear. Would these hold up 35's? If not, how much would i have to build them up to make them strong enough? Is it cheaper to build up, or just buy an old waggy and use the d44's off of that?

you will get alot of verying opinions on this. It all depends on how you use your rig. If you pound it offroad, then you might want to strenghten/ get new axles. Also, if you like the skinny pedal alot, I would go stronger or strenghten. If your rig is mostly a DD, then 35's on stock axles should be jsut fine. If you have fabricating skills, then the waggy 44's shouldn't be that big of a chellenge, however having the work done for you can add up quick.

You have lots of reading to do....

If you have the D35, you'll want to upgrade. If you're going up to 8 inches of lift, you'll want a different front axle b/c you have the low pinion D30 - that might be a little much to try and adjust your pinion angle on. RCP Phx is the expert on the LP 30 though. I believe he's running 6"+ with his just fine.

You could run an XJ D44 in the back, a Ford 9" or a Ford 8.8....

up front, you could go with anything from a Ford D44 (high pinion), waggy 44 (low pinion), or polish the hell out of a D30 and carry spare shafts...

this jeep is my DD, but since i sold my cj, its gonna be my offroad vehicle as well, nothin too extreme where i live, mostly just mudholes and various lakes/rivers. Whats the most cost-efficient way to strengthen an axle? Also, is there any way of knowing whether i have the d35 or the chrysler?

Its a 2001 Cherokee 4.0L I6 AT 4x4 Sport, 4-dr

yes, to tell, you look at the axle. the pumpkins are pretty different. do some searching on here, or on google. you can find pics. C8.25 has a flat bottom. you also might find a tag on the axle tube that tells you.

ksmithers88 said:
Also, is there any way of knowing whether i have the d35 or the chrysler?

Its a 2001 Cherokee 4.0L I6 AT 4x4 Sport, 4-dr

There is a chart floating around here somewhere to show, but basically the D35 is round on the bottom and the 8.25 looks like a stop sign on the bottom. somebody will chime in with the chart.

oh also, if you have ABS, then you have the D35. ABS only came on D35s.

Its most likely an 8 1/4 being a later model.

Like everyone has said it will depend on you mainly but for every one person that says you can there will be 100 more that say it won't ever hold up. But we all know that one guy that has that junk homemade lift(that everyone says wouldn't work or last) and 40" tires on stock axles(that said can't be done) with welded front and rear diffs and he drives it on the road everyday to and from work and jumps it and plays hard on the weekends and guess what it has never broke and never will. We all arn't so fortunate unfortunately. Then there is the guy who puts $10,000 into his rig and he can't even crawl over the first obstacle or cross the first mud whole with out breaking something or everything.

lancey3 said:
Its most likely an 8 1/4 being a later model.
That has absolutely nothing to do with it. Here's a good rule of thumb though: if it has ABS, it IS a D35 in the rear. Too bad the FAQ doesn't have pictures...they are worth 1000 words apiece, and I think that's where we are with this thread already.

D35:
axle_d35.jpg

C8.25:
axle_825.jpg

And if you got really lucky, this may have been swapped under the Jeep at some point. D44:
axle_d44.jpg

Would I recommend 35s and a D35? Nope. For that matter, you've got a low-pinion D30 up front and I'd recommend swapping it out for an earlier high-pinion model with that much lift. It's a stronger ring+pinion anyway, and you'll want that with the heavy tires you're thinking of.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

94XJ2door5speed said:
Like everyone has said it will depend on you mainly but for every one person that says you can there will be 100 more that say it won't ever hold up. But we all know that one guy that has that junk homemade lift(that everyone says wouldn't work or last) and 40" tires on stock axles(that said can't be done) with welded front and rear diffs and he drives it on the road everyday to and from work and jumps it and plays hard on the weekends and guess what it has never broke and never will.

Very True. :cheers:

Back