• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Spring rate

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell me the factory spring rate of the rear leafs on a stock 1994 XJ?

So apparently no one knows. 'm asking because i want to know if you can use front coils for the rear if you linked the rear or if they are way to stiff.

this is just speculation, but i would think it would ride awful rough as xj's are pretty nose-heavy. seems like the spring rate would be too high for the rear to ride at all well.

I second that they would probably be pretty stiff. If you are set on using coils out of a vehicle, try rears out of a tj or a grand cherokee.

Why do you want to switch to coils in the back anyway? I think a well set up leaf suspension could do just as well and be a little more stable.:dunno:

Chris

:doh: What the hell was i thinking? Completely forgot about the fact that ZJ's have rear coils. Now i feel like a retard. The reason is that i am going to do a longarm radius type front suspension for a comp in class and i have to do 4 other link styles so i thought why not do a 4 link in the rear while its on the schools tab. O yeah i can't afford true coil overs so coils is what i'm gonna have to stick with.

Get your build sheet so you can see which spring codes you have. The build sheet will give you a three-letter code which can be deciphered using an FSM to get the two-letter codes below. Or you may get lucky and be able to read the two-letter codes on the springs themselves. The spring rates are as follows.
LL - 3-1/8" free arch, load rating 405
LM - 5-5/8" free arch, load rating 605
LS - 6" free arch, load rating 675
LT - 7" free arch, load rating 755

Back