• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Front Driveshaft

mundur5

NAXJA Forum User
So last night it started snowing up here and the roads got a little slick. So I put it in 4WD. When I did, my car started almost making a low roar or rumble. It only does it when it is in 4. I assume it is the front driveshaft.

I just got a new one cause I added lift about 6 months back. It hasn't given me any problems before.

Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

Check your linkage. Turn up the Music too.

IF after removing the front ds; the noise goes away... do an inspection of the U joints and centering cup.
Recently after a local Jamboree; I had a rubbing/rumbling sound on the way home.
I couldnt locate the noise until I removed the front ds and the noise was still there.
Driving really slow with my head hanging out the window I could hear the noise.
Removed the rear ds and installed the front; there was a slight rumbling when driving >45 mph, but the rubbing/squeak was gone.
After inspecting the rear ds; I discovered a slight rubbing feeling when oscillating the double cardan joint.
Brought both driveshafts to Oceanside Driveline and had the balance checked on the front ds and the rear U-joints inspected.
The front ds was out of balance and the rear ds had one U-joint cup with a bad needle bearing and worn trunion.
After the rebuild of the rear ds and the balance of the front ds; I had the tires spun balance; just to make sure.
The Jeep drives so.... smooth.....

Last edited:
Back