• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Wiper/Cruise Switch

TheAlmightySam

NAXJA Forum User
So, the cruise doesn't work in my '92, and it appears the reason why is some genius clipped the wires just aft of the switch itself. I've got a new switch, but I'm having a hell of a time routing the wire that goes to the cruise harness under the dash. Obviously I can't unplug the original wiring and snake it with a wire, since it's completely missing.

I can get a snake wire through the main body of the column itself without a whole lot of fuss, but where I'm having a problem is getting the wire through the tilt section of the column. There's a little plastic piece that looks like it should come off as seen here:

cherokee_column_drivers_side.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality photo. Anyway, this little bugger will NOT come off. I can pry at it and get it kinda loose, but it won't cooperate.

So, gods and goddesses of the XJ, what would you suggest? I wants my cruise control!

80 percent sure that you gotta take of the wheel,drop the colunm and the whole nine yards...check out haynes,it is described really good what to do

The part that your picture is pointing to doesn't come off unless you take the whole steering column apart. Keep trying to snake it through untill you can see the wire. There is a slot in the column were all the wires run down. you might be hitting something in there keeping the wire from comming all the way through. keep trying.

Back