• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Pump Going?

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
Well ever since I bought the jeep about 6 months ago the steering has been really funky. I started out stiff, which I loved. My last truck was manual steering which was sweet. So nothing that bothered me. But lately (past month or two) the steering has gotten ridiculous. The wheel is near impossible to turn when idling at a stand still. I have to put my foot on the brake, rev a little, and then it works fine. I've done a flush, and changed the fluid twice, still no dice. Also checked belt tension and the pulley bearings, everything seems legit. Any ideas? It's a 97 with around 170k on the clock.

Could be sticky valves in the steering gear.

I would try some Lucas addative to it and see if it frees up.

Does it make any noise? Is it leaking anywhere?

is the sound from the gear or the pump? I would think the pump has a sticking pressure relief valve that is restricting the flow of fluid to the gear

My 90 is doing the same thing. i replaced the gear box and it helped for a few days, and then the wine and hard to turn came back. I think i will be replaceing the pump this week

If it's groaning, and groans more when you turn and hold the wheel, it's most likely your pump and probably not the box. I had similar symptoms, changed out the pump and all is well.

The gear box is trickier than the pump IMHO.

I'm having the same problem with my '97, however i've replaced both the pump and the box, it got a little better but still not the way it should be! My question is, am I using the wrong fluid, or is there a difference?

The 99' we have lost power steering because of a leak... took too long to fix so the pump went.

When my girlfriend replaced the pump, we took the one off a 2001 Grand Cherokee. (Drivetrain sits in the garage for the buggy)

The 2001' grand has a Hydraulic cooling fan on the radiator.
Because of this, the pump if FAR more powerful then the stock 99' XJ pump.

We swapped the high pressure fitting on the pump to work with the 99' and plugged the extra return line to the tank. The pulley was the same.

The steering is AMAZING! FAR more powerful then ever before!

I would recommend this to anyone replacing the power steering pump!

Seriously, you won't believe the difference! :eyes:

We can turn the 33's with a pinky finger.

XJR

THE NEWF said:
I'm having the same problem with my '97, however i've replaced both the pump and the box, it got a little better but still not the way it should be! My question is, am I using the wrong fluid, or is there a difference?

If you bought your pump from advance and its still making noise I would take it back. It took me three pumps before I got one that was good. Could be the same problem with the gearbox too. I would just tell them that they are making alot of noise and you want a new set.

So the grand cherokee is a direct fit? sounds pretty sweet. I have a 97, think there would be any steering differences between the two? I know in 99 they did some pretty funky stuff.

DanMan2k06 said:
So the grand cherokee is a direct fit? sounds pretty sweet. I have a 97, think there would be any steering differences between the two? I know in 99 they did some pretty funky stuff.

Yes, bolts right on no problem!

The 97' is not going to have the powerful pump.
I believe it is only on the newer 2001' 4.7L and up.
Might be on the 2000' but I donno for sure.

XJR

XJRubicon said:
Yes, bolts right on no problem!

The 97' is not going to have the powerful pump.
I believe it is only on the newer 2001' 4.7L and up.
Might be on the 2000' but I donno for sure.

XJR

it's only the 2001 and up 4.7 wj that had the hydro cooling fan. 99-00 is a no-go.

Ten High said:
it's only the 2001 and up 4.7 wj that had the hydro cooling fan. 99-00 is a no-go.

Thanks for the info!

XJR

My wife's 95 developed stiff steering and the steering wheel would not return to center after a turn. The problem turned out to be the upper balljoint on the right side. Easy to check, disconnect each tie rod end for the steering knuckle and turn each wheel by hand, if you encounter any resistance the balljoints are at fault.

Just a suggestion.

Well I just put on a new zj tierod/drag link, and noticed while it was in the air that when the wheels were not held together by the rod, they flopped right over to either side. So that's not an issue.

On another note, I've noticed a few more weird things. I think the pully is going bad. When wet, the belt slips. When dry, it doesnt. Going around turns slowly (forward or reverse) causes the car to stutter. Almost like it's going to stall out and die. The rpms will drop to about 250, then back to 800, and repeat. So maybe the pully is sticking/resisting? And turning the wheel while sitting still and idling is no longer possible. At all. If you try, it growls and does nothing.

Back