• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expedition totaled - thinking Grand Cherokee

Blazair

NAXJA Forum User
I wont go into the gorry details, but my wife totaled her 2001 Expedition. She rear ended a Suburban, but the Expedition really didnt look that bad. Im thinking abour using the insurance money ~$9500 to buy a used Grand Cherokee.

I think 2004 was the last year of the solid axle Grand and I want the V-8. Im an XJ guy, and I know nothing about Grands. What else do I need to know about Grand Cherokee's? What should I avoid?

-Mark

I have an 04 and can give you some pointers.

It is the last year for the SFA in the WJ.

Get the V8, no questions asked. The 4.0 is a dog in the heavy WJ. Get a 4X4 with the factory tow package for the power steering and trans coolers. Do not get the 4.7 HO motor in the Overland or Limited. You have to run premium octane with them, $$$$! I personally like the Special Edition models the best. They are a middle model between the Limited and Laredo. You get the nice body color cladding and not the gray stuff on the Laredo. They were only built in 02 and 04 also. The SE's have all the same creature comforts as the Limited but come in a hair over the price of the Laredo.

Stay far away from the dual climate controlled interiors in any model. They have a bad problem with blend door failures and you pretty much have to pull the whole dash out to replace them, not fun at all!

WJ's have a history of warping rotors fast. There is a one time only recall on them. Once they are done at the dealer you are on your own after that to fix them. The best fix is to get Stillen or Powerslot rotors when they do warp. Also making sure the tire monkies torque your lugs properly will help some too.

The heated seats can be funky as well. They can stop working at any given time or just stay on and boil your boys.

The window regulators can and will brake at some point. Pretty much the same problem as the 97+ XJs have.

The reason I suggest the SE is because they normally do not have heated seats, daul climate control, or the HO motor.

PS: If you plan to lift it do NOT use a Rustys lift, go BDS or nothing.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Here is my 04 SE

000_0330.jpg

Last edited:
I would still buy an HO, I have a dual climate control and once it's fixed with the updated parts, it will work fine....same with the heated seats.

I bought a 2wd, mainly because my wife drives it. We have a V8 and with her driving it it gets around 20mpg. If I could have found an HO i would have bought it...I don't ever remember those needing premium, but I could be wrong...I will check the next one that comes in.

Mark, whatever model you buy, if you have problems, there are three of us local to you that can help you fix it on the cheap.

Justin

How about a 00 WJ 4.0 (six vehicles is getting ridiculous)? You'll have enough money left to buy another toy!

Thanks for the info guys. Ive been doing some research and the 4.7HO is compatible wit 87 octane, but performs better with 91.

It will be the wife's Jeep, so it will "never" see the dirt, but I want a 4X4 anyway.

I'm in no rush to buy so I'll be looking around. Maybe I'll buy an Excursion. :twak:

Well I talked my wife into a 04 Overland last summer and have not looked back.. I like the heated seats, and the dual climate control (even though I will have to fix it). The Ho will run on 87, since Dr MJR told me it has a knock sensor. the other thing to watch out for with the v8 has cracking exhaust manifolds, mostly the right.

Clean-RC said:
Well I talked my wife into a 04 Overland last summer and have not looked back.. I like the heated seats, and the dual climate control (even though I will have to fix it). The Ho will run on 87, since Dr MJR told me it has a knock sensor. the other thing to watch out for with the v8 has cracking exhaust manifolds, mostly the right.
Great to know. Bought the wife a 2004 limited with the ho and we have been running 91 but are getting really sick of it! I didn't realize there were so many 2004 owners around here. All the research I did pointed to the 2004 with v8 as one of the better models, we have not been disappointed.

I disagree with the 4.0 being a dog in a WJ. My dad has an 03 with the 4.0 and it moves pretty good. Granted his is a 2wd.

Nope.
Looking like its going to be another Expedition.......please talk me out of it. :banghead:

Last edited:
How much will a full tank of gas cost you?, and how long will it last?

Is that reason enough?

Oh man after owning an exploder and an expedition I will never go back to ford suv's. I had constant mechanical problems with the expedition including a blown cylinder after putting 3,000 miles on it right off the lot. And my explorer did a 360 on the 210 and the only thing that I could figure is the damn short wheelbase "it was a sport model" because I had just put on new tires and made sure they were properly inflated several days before. That thing was a squirelly POS! I thought it was going to tip on it's side every time I went around a sharp turn. So yeah no more ford suv's for this guy. Much happier with my jeeps.

saki669 said:
dont got these...literally
saki...you have a minivan.....

Back