• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nice 2 Know

WickedOnE530

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/recreation/activities/ohv.shtml

All vehicles which are operated on public lands must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The registration fee is $50 per vehicle, and is valid for a two-year period. The OHV fees are used for acquisition of new OHV areas, development and operation of existing OHV areas, enforcement of the rules and regulations, and protection of the natural resources. DMV will issue a Green or Red Sticker for off-road vehicles. Vehicles which can be operated both on- and off-highway will be given a street-legal license.
OHV Registration Requirements
In order to operate any type of motorized vehicle off-road on public land, you must have one of the following:
Street-Legal License Plate: If you want to operate a 4-wheel drive vehicle or dual-purpose motorcycle on-road and off-road, you must have a street-legal license plate.
The Green Sticker Or Red Sticker: If you are going to operate a motorized vehicle off-road only, you must have either a Green Sticker or a Red Sticker that has been issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. The Green Sticker allows vehicles to operate on public land all year. The Red Sticker is for motorcycles and ATVs model year 2003 and newer that do not meet the emission standards established by the California Air Resources Board. If the vehicle has a 3 or a C in the eighth position of the Vehicle Identification Number, then it does not meet the emission standards and should be issued a Red Sticker. The Red Sticker is exactly the same as the Green Sticker except that these vehicles can only be operated during certain times of the year. To find out when you can operate your vehicle, call the specific riding area that you want to visit or you can follow the link to the Red Sticker Open Riding Schedule

Yea, it is good info to know for poeple just getting into the offroad thing. Being a desert dirt bike rider, I knew about this for many years. I wonder if they raised the price recently. My dirt bike was less then $30 last time I had to renew for my two year green sticker. I guess I will probably find out soon enough since it is due in June again.

Another item to note;

All laws pertaining to alcohol use on paved roads also apply to any off road area in the state of California.

An open container in your Jeep, out in the dirt, is just the same as an open container while driving down Sepulveda Blvd. Also drunk driving, no restraints, people in the bed of a truck, seat belts etc etc..

Don't get caught with a SoBe bomb...your talking a federal offence there...

Rick

Jump This said:
Another item to note;

All laws pertaining to alcohol use on paved roads also apply to any off road area in the state of California.

An open container in your Jeep, out in the dirt, is just the same as an open container while driving down Sepulveda Blvd. Also drunk driving, no restraints, people in the bed of a truck, seat belts etc etc..

Don't get caught with a SoBe bomb...your talking a federal offence there...

Rick

In addition to all the comments above these also pertain to being on the water. You can also get a 502 in a boat. There are also new age restrictions as well when operating a watercraft.

Leep

97xjdawg said:
And on a horse :eyes:

... and a riding lawn mower.....

oh wait, there is not that much grass out here....

I got a DUI 3 years ago and they are Nasty
DUI's are now a big source of income for our government
Shoes, ur kids razor scooter, car, boat, and dirtbike there looking for U.
The day after my 21st B-day i was in Ocotillo doing donuts over by the Cove in my 79 t top Camaro.... and a ranger harrased me for an hour had me in handcuffs.... then let me go.

Back