• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone running an aftermarket ign.coil??

Stock replacement. Even though you don't give your year (you really should...) even the RENIX coil and system is up to scratch for strokers. Unless you're running a strokers with a stupid high compression ratio, or you're running better than a half-atmosphere of boost, you really don't need to upgrade.

Put your money into wires instead. There's plenty of energy available, so just make sure it gets to where it needs to be. Also, make sure your cap & rotor have brass terminals, not aluminum - aluminum erodes due to HV discharge much faster than brass. Borg/Warner or Niehoff are what I usually get for that reason.

thanks 5-90

my xj is a 89 model with the 4.0L....sorry
where can i find a stock replacement for cheap at... i just had to buy a CSF 3-row radiator ($200) and i'm kind broke....lol

X2 on the stock replacement coil. Unless you are doing a whack of mods, intake, header, exhaust, TB etc. But if you are planning going the way of engine upgrades I use either the MSD or ACCEL, with NGK 7mm wires and NGK plugs. My MSD 8.8 wires were no better performance wise than the NGK's. As a matter of fact when i went to the NGK's $33 as opposed to like $80 my tach reading at idle went normal again. This being due to routing the wires as per stock layout and using the correct length wire for the cylinder.

I don't know what you do with your rig.

DD
Trail Rig
DD/Trail Rig

As these guys have said, stock ignition is good. If you just run it on the street and the occasional trail Stick with stock. If you need a new stock coil... Hell, I'll give you one!

Sounds like you are a little thin in the wallet.

Anything better then stock is going to run a couple hundred $$$.
I Love my MSD blaster 2 and 6A. I have my rig setup with a stock coil and the MSD so I can switch back and fourth by swapping the coil wires.

The difference is noticeable right away. When the engine fires on MSD, it explodes into idle. Hooked to stock, The engine just kinda starts up.

Sitting at Idle, the MSD has a deep, mean, tone, sounding precise and clean.
Very smooth and tight sounding.
The stock ignition at idle, well it stays running but I wouldn't call it very even or clean. There is no deep tone at idle and the engine sounds loose.

The MSD Fires a rapid succession of spark for 20 degrees of crankshaft rotation up until about 3000 RPM. Not to mention, with 480 volts going into the coil, the output is also higher then stock.

What this means is more of the fuel/air mixture can be burned per cylinder cycle then a stock system could ever dream of.

Taking the truck for a drive, The stock system run well, there is good power and it runs smooth through the gears. It really is a pretty good system.

But Technology has advanced.

Putting the truck in gear and letting out the clutch is a whole new ball game with the MSD. The low speed Crawling is unbelievable! Without even giving it ANY gas, the truck will idle up pretty much anything. The low end torque is REALLY Noticeable. On the road, it has more power throughout the entire powerband! I get better gas milage with the MSD and the truck just sounds so much better.

MSD is not reliable though. The first box I had was the MSD offroad. it got to the point I had to smash the MSD box from time to time just to get it to run.
That is why I run the stock as a backup. MSD is awesome, but instead of meaning "Multiple Spark Discharge", I think it really means "Might suddenly Die"

There are other aftermarket companies that produce high capacitance discharge ignitions but I have not run them.

The MSD that is in my truck now I have had for over 10 years, it has been in 4 different truck and it is still burning strong!

Let me know if you need that coil, I have a few layin around.

if you have a stock coil i'm interested... (601)299-6639 thomas... please give me a call!

this is only a toy for me and yes my wallet is thin so thin i don't even know where it is...lol

denali_on_26's said:
if you have a stock coil i'm interested... (601)299-6639 thomas... please give me a call!

this is only a toy for me and yes my wallet is thin so thin i don't even know where it is...lol

Sorry, I don't have long distance...

Please PM me your address and I will send it out to you!

Thanks

Hmm, how is the MSD on the freeway and why not use it everyday? I am interested in more performance but I have also heard that the stock set-up is perfect for the 88 XJ's.

The stock set-up is great! You don't need to do anything to it. Your wasting your money on any modification to it. Same goes for the rest of the jeep. Why waste a dime on perfectly good suspension,tires,shocks bumpers and skid plates? Stock is perfect. Ive put two MSD 6a boxes and one full Jacobs kit on boats jeeps and trucks and can tell you that they do everthing they claim. Sure your jeep will roll on 29" but we put on 35"s because we are stupid. Same for buying a hot ignition. Those that claim they do nothing over stock never ran one or never regaped the plugs wider. You feel a difference whether you see huge dyno increases or not. Every vehicle ,boat or tractor site I visit gets the same "stock is perfect" reponse. Perfect if you like stock and perfect if you arn't trying to milk every last bit of performance or fuel economy out of it. It's a sweet mod that you will enjoy all the time.

Listen, bottom line...

A stock ignition system in good working order is a very good setup.

The MSD is better in almost every aspect except reliability and replaceability if/when it does go bad.

Different people have different Idea's on what they like and dislike... Me, while knowing an XJ is an excellent vehicle stock... I can't stand to drive one. Feels like a lowrider car or something.
That feeling tells me this jeep can't go where I like to. Its not the flower picker trails.

I have run my XJ with the MSD on the road with 36 swampers, 1400 miles from St. Paul, MN To Moab Utah at least three times and back. 2800 miles round trip not to mention the abuse during the 2 week stay in Moab.

Not to mention it was my daily driver till I killed the rear axle and couldn't afford to replace it... Its seen at least 12k miles in my XJ

The ONLY time I ever had trouble was on Lower Helldorado in 03'
The MSD Offroad had stopped working.
It was weird, I had to smash it with a half inch breaker bar from time to time to keep it running.

I had the stock ignition still bolted in so I just plugged it in and continued my trip. When I got home I replaced the MSD Offroad with my trusty 6A, and I have not had a problem with the ignition since.

I have seen over 15 MSD box's fail in friends race cars and offroad machines. Sometimes they run forever, sometimes they die for no reason at any time. MSD. Might Suddenly Die.

Even though they have their problems, I will always run the MSD because of the Low end torque, and smooth high RPM's! -till it burns out and I have to switch to stock while I get another. heh

I don't really know if it would do as much to a stock engine, I have a bunch of other upgrades, ported head and such...

are you running the special harness adapter to plug into a stock style coil. Or are you running a universal blaster coil(ford style) Looking at upgrading my stroker to this ignition system. It will either be this, or I will be running megasquirt and let it run everything(fuel, spark, timing)

I put in an accel coil.... 97 BTW

Looks nice.. but not needed.

Im running a Demon coil and 8mm wires. Its about 4 years old I think. It did allow me to open up my plug gap but I dont think it meant much in the way of performance. I wouldnt spend the extra money on it again.

wolfpackjeeper said:
are you running the special harness adapter to plug into a stock style coil. Or are you running a universal blaster coil(ford style) Looking at upgrading my stroker to this ignition system. It will either be this, or I will be running megasquirt and let it run everything(fuel, spark, timing)

I built all my own harness's.
The MSD box is just an amplifier.... You will still need to run a driver. (computer controlled timing)
While you can run it right off the distributor, you won't have timing curves or advance/retard.

Back