• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size question

xj-boonie

NAXJA Forum User
I need new tires, and am currently running BFG AT 31x10.5R15 on the stock steel wheels on my 96XJ. It's a 5 speed with 3.55 gears - XJ D44 w/ Aussie in back and D30 in front. I'm at about 4" of lift measuring from axle center to flare. It's my daily driver.

I like the BFG AT's, but am looking for something a little more aggressive off-road, while having good road manners. I'm thinking of keeping the 31" size based on my gearing and rims.

I'm thinking of going with Mickey Thompson MTZ's to get more traction off road.

I like the idea of going to 33s, but think they would require different rims (or spacers) and lower gears. The only thought there was maybe BFG's either AT or MT (maybe with sipes) in the 33x10.5R15 size...

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

PS where's the best/cheapest place to get MTZs from?

Last edited:
Look into the Trxus MT. Great road manners, not much louder than BFG ATs I've ridden on before. Great traction offroad. Siped from the factory so they are great in rain and AMAZING in the snow. When they were on sale at 4WP I got mine to my door for $460.

EDIT: Sorry it's late. The 33x10.50 part didn't register. So, unless you decide to stick with a 31x10.50 or go with a 33x12.50 then forget the above.

33x10.50 will definitely limit you to the BFG AT or MT, and I'm going to say you will need to lift it further or trim the wheelwells considerably before you can put those on. Regearing would definitely be a VERY good idea before you go bigger.

I've got the 33x.10.50x15 BFG MT on my 96 XJ, and with the 4.5" lift I've got I'm still rubbing the fronts. The front of my front wheelwell has already been trimmed up because of my bumper, and I've got Drop Brackets behind the 4.5" lift. Nevertheless, I really need to see what I can do about bumpstopping and trimming, because I rub somewhere up front when turning the wheel and "flexing" on steep driveway entrances.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

With the 3.55 you have now, 31" BFG would be the best. If you are going for the 33", you should regear to 4.10 to avoid stress on the shafts.

BFG M/T is an aggressive off-roader!

hoovie said:
With the 3.55 you have now, 31" BFG would be the best. If you are going for the 33", you should regear to 4.10 to avoid stress on the shafts.

4.10's is what he needs for the 31's. If he plans on going to 33's he would be much better off with 4.56's in my opinion.

I know 4.10 for 31's and 4.56 for 33's, but at time, it was easier for me to swap a whole axle, with 3.55 gears, instead of setting up new gears.

So I'll stick with 31's till I have the time and money to regear. The 3.55 gears with 31's, even bald ones, feels much better than the 3.07 gears did, and I've got 5th back again.

hoovie said:

Regearing has nothing to do with stressing the axleshafts, they will see the same stress no matter what gears they run. Regearing helps get the engine back into a powerband that is usable with the transmission selection.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Ordered 31" Mickey Thompson MTZ's today from JC Whitney.

Now a quick question: should I get them balanced the regular way with weights, or use airsoft bb's?

Mike

Back