• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Swap 87>96

burkett_38

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 xj 4.0L and my friend has a 96 xj with a blown up 4.0L. Would my engine fit in his jeep with little or no modifications?

IIRC you cant stick a renix motor in a OBD-II because of difference in vaccum routing and the on-borad computer.
I maybe totally wrong so if I am someone will chime in.

wont work....besides the stuff listed above. I believe the heads are different. so swapping the late model manifolds and electronics onto the Renix head wouldn't work either. I think that the short blocks are the same though. anyone?

I have swapped a 98 into an 88. I used the electronics, manifolds, etc off the 88. The main problem is that the intake ports don't match perfectly, but can be modified.

I have done it no problem just use your block the only thing is the mount for the coil on the 96 is on the block, on the 88 its one the fender well so the 88 will not have the holes for the coil i made a mounting bracket so use his head and every thing conected to it and it can be done. with little mone spent a head set is like 150 bux

I just finished a similar swap of a 88 block into a 95. I removed the head off the 95 and put it on the 88 after I got a valve job done on it. Using the H.O head on the renix block works fine for me since everything remains the same. For the coil mounting, I welded the bracket onto the motor mount bracket. Also the oil filter adapter is different between the two so swap that out as well. Im probally forgeting something so just pm me if you need anything.

Back