• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lake Spada?

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
Somebody at work was telling me about Lake Spada today, they said it would be a good place to go wheeling in the snow. I'm a little sceptical about this being it looks to be a drinking water source. Just wondering if anyone else has looked at it or been there?

sultan basin road leads up to spada lake,you dont wheel anywhere near the lake itself, there are a few nice roads for snow wheelin, but alot of off camber sketchy stuff too. there was a place called blue mountain and a trail called highrider, but they were closed years ago due to kids dumpin stolen rigs off the top, and trash being dumped.

you can get to these spots but, it is a huge risk!!!!!! not 1 im willing to take.

your best bet is to hit up jacks pass for snow wheelin

Yoy should try the Hood Canals "Hamma Hamma" area its D.N.R. land no gates and on my lunch break we got the Work Van to the snow in 15min couln,t go no ferther.There all sorts of powerline roads ect.......Get out and explore..Hikeing,lakes,GEO Caching....
Just a sugestion.

JACK

hotrod07 said:
sultan basin road leads up to spada lake,you dont wheel anywhere near the lake itself, there are a few nice roads for snow wheelin, but alot of off camber sketchy stuff too. there was a place called blue mountain and a trail called highrider, but they were closed years ago due to kids dumpin stolen rigs off the top, and trash being dumped.

you can get to these spots but, it is a huge risk!!!!!! not 1 im willing to take.

your best bet is to hit up jacks pass for snow wheelin

I cut my wheeling teeth on the old Shaw Lake trail (pre-washout) and Highrider, many, many great times up in the Sultan basin area back in the day. We last ran Highrider in November 2003, had a great group of 13 rigs, climbed the rock and ran the lower loop, went through the upper bogs and tight trees, had lunch at the microwave tower lookout. There was a "backside" to Highrider as well, take a left just before the trail joins the tower access road near the top. Took you down some steep clay trenches and through some very steep washes, used to run all the way back down to the fenced/gated area on the left before the first bridge off of Sultan basin Road.

Unfortunately, Mother Nature and the foolishness of man led to the basin's downfall as a wheeling destination. Shaw lake washed out about 2/3 of the way to the top of what was once a spectacular lookout back in 1999, Shaw Lake trail was closed for logging in 2002. The backside of Highrider washed out in 2001 about halfway down, and vandalism of the microwave tower and cutting bypasses at the rock entrance led to the closure of highrider back in Jan. of 2004.

A very fun, close area of trails lost forever. :(

fubar XJ said:
I cut my wheeling teeth on the old Shaw Lake trail (pre-washout) and Highrider, many, many great times up in the Sultan basin area back in the day. We last ran Highrider in November 2003, had a great group of 13 rigs, climbed the rock and ran the lower loop, went through the upper bogs and tight trees, had lunch at the microwave tower lookout. There was a "backside" to Highrider as well, take a left just before the trail joins the tower access road near the top. Took you down some steep clay trenches and through some very steep washes, used to run all the way back down to the fenced/gated area on the left before the first bridge off of Sultan basin Road.

Unfortunately, Mother Nature and the foolishness of man led to the basin's downfall as a wheeling destination. Shaw lake washed out about 2/3 of the way to the top of what was once a spectacular lookout back in 1999, Shaw Lake trail was closed for logging in 2002. The backside of Highrider washed out in 2001 about halfway down, and vandalism of the microwave tower and cutting bypasses at the rock entrance led to the closure of highrider back in Jan. of 2004.

A very fun, close area of trails lost forever. :(

yup, its too bad that it was closed

Back