• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Choosing Shocks?

Euclid

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched high and low, what's the rule of thumb as far as shock measurements for X amount of lift?

I've got about 5" at the moment, my rears measure 23" eye-to-eye while sitting flat.

It depends on the type of offroading you do. Usually you want more extension than compression. So I would say find a shock that is 20" collapsed and 28" extended.

It's about the suspension travel. You should measure how much travel is expected with the lift. Suspension travel is how far your axle moves from zero extended to the maximum (droop), and how far when compressed. The easiest way is to jack your car using a hi-lift jack at the front bumper. Lift the car as far high with the current shock absorber. When your tyres starts leaving the ground because of the maximum extension of the shocks, means your shocks are too short. Try again with the shocks removed and see how far your axle travels from the zero position. Be careful to observe the springs as well, it might jump out of the seating.

For the travel during compression, just measure how far your tyre would go at maximum into your fenders without jamming the wheels. You should provide at least about an inch between your tyre and the fender to assure that the wheels would not be locked/jammed during compression.

By combining the measurement of extension and compression, you would know the length of shocks you need. The important factor is not to let your shocks to act as the bump stop during compression, and as limiter during extension.

Back