• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sway bar mounting bracket bold snapped!!!!!!

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
one of the bolts hold the mounting backet for my front sway bar snapped alont time ago, and a previous owner just welded the mounting bracket to the jeep, but I broke the weld 4x4ing so i would like to fix it properly

should i drill it out?

Ive never drilled anything out, but i know i start with a small drill bit and work my way up untill i can fit in the bolt?

is there anything i need to know besides that? anything that could go wrong??

Drill it a little of center and work your way up till your near the edge of the bolt where the bolt meets the thread from here use a screw extractor (spiral type) and it should come out. a little heat can help. I remember snapping a subframe to body bolt of in a grand prix (the type with the welded nut inside a boxed channel and this worked for me. You may need a tap to clean up the threads after

Yeah, good call, bcmaxx. I guess I forgot to help him with how to remove the remainder of the bolt. Sorry, blazinjames.

The "hole" is one those cheesy nutserts inside the uniframe. I had lived with mine being broken (the nutsert spun ) because I couldn't find an access point until I upgraded my bumper. When I had my old bumper off (not a hard job) I could see the nutsert inside the uniframe and was able to get some leverage on it and take it out. New bolt & nut, problem solved.

I had been tempted to cut the old bolt out and use a self tapper but the outside hole was bigger than the inside hole so that wasn't gonna work.

ParadiseXJ said:
The "hole" is one those cheesy nutserts inside the uniframe. I had lived with mine being broken (the nutsert spun ) because I couldn't find an access point until I upgraded my bumper. When I had my old bumper off (not a hard job) I could see the nutsert inside the uniframe and was able to get some leverage on it and take it out. New bolt & nut, problem solved.

I had been tempted to cut the old bolt out and use a self tapper but the outside hole was bigger than the inside hole so that wasn't gonna work.

I favor this route as opposed to drilling out the hole and re-tapping it...of course, I HATE drilling broken bolts and re-tapping so that's just my opinion. Taking the bumper off is very easy and if you can access the nutserts with the bumper removed, I'd go that route. As a matter of fact...mine are broken and my bumper is off right now too! I haven't thought to check and see if I could access the nutserts but I guess you can!

Punch the old nut free with a drift. Cut/drill a hole in the uniframe so you may slip a box end wrench in over the mounting hole. A drop of super glue will hold a nut in the wrench or socket until the bolt is started. A tap on the wrench with a hammer will snap the glue.

Back