• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it True?

Ricky

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if it's true that you need all new lugnuts when you put on aftermarket wheels. A guy at Pepboys told me that you did today, but I wasn't sure if I should belive him or not, it is Pepboys. I have AR black steel wheels bolted up with my stock lugs right now and it doesn't seem to be a problem, but maybe I just don't notice it. Any insight would be great.

Thanks,
Ricky

Ricky said:
I have AR black steel wheels bolted up with my stock lugs right now and it doesn't seem to be a problem, but maybe I just don't notice it. Any insight would be great.

Thanks,
Ricky

He stated he has the AR black steelies?

Just make sure they are in good shape... I tried to get stock lugs off my friends XJ the other day [theres no way the had been off recently] and they sheered into two pieces...
the guys at discount tire told us that it has something to do with the lugs fusing to the rims???

Depending on where you live,a full set of locks wouldnt be a bad idea!

It matters. If your wheels have been changed frequently (taken off) or your bolts have been continually over torqued, They will break off. If your using a torque wrench, and evreything tightens up to spec, then using the old studs and lugs are ok. I changed all of mine recently as they started breaking off after a tire and wheel change to torque spec.

96XJ Country said:
Just make sure they are in good shape... I tried to get stock lugs off my friends XJ the other day [theres no way the had been off recently] and they sheered into two pieces...
the guys at discount tire told us that it has something to do with the lugs fusing to the rims???
The nuts broke into two pieces, right? That's common of Jeep lug nuts; they are a two piece design. I would say more typical is that the "tin" outer part gets too worn to be gripped well and then has to be knocked off the actual lug nut.

replacing OEM lugs is worth it... $40 to no longer have to deal with the 2-peice CRAP they put on stock....

locking lugnuts are more of a pain in the ass than anything... smart theives can get em off as quickly as with a key, depending on wheel

It's ok to keep re-using the stock lugnuts as long as the outer skin hasn't come off. And even then, they're ok, they just take a different wrench size.

But Pep Boys does suck, and you should go to a real tire store.

Thanks for all the input guys. It was ver helpful and save me a few $$. I'm sticking with the steel wheels for a bit I'll just replace only the stripped wheel studs and lugs. And yes, It'll be the last time I go to pepboys for a while.

Thanks, :)
Ricky

PS: and I live in the seacoast of NH, so pretty much nothing ever gets stollen. My friends leave their doors unlocked with radar detectors on the front winshield, so I'm not to worried about my wheels getting stolen. If I ever do get new lugs, I'll probably get locking ones though.

Last edited:
Ricky said:
PS: and I live in the seacoast of NH, so pretty much nothing ever gets stollen. My friends leave their doors unlocked with radar detectors on the front winshield, so I'm not to worried about my wheels getting stolen. If I ever do get new lugs, I'll probably get locking ones though.

I think I know where my next vacation is....:scottm:

Back