• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

black dust

85xjproject

NAXJA Forum User
hi guys sorry for posting again,but i am a xj noob need lots of brain candy!well i have cleaned my xj interior twice since i have owned it,and both times the water is almost pitch black.so 2 weeks after the third cleaning i passed my hand on the dash,and the dust that was there is like a black soot,although it does not stain.i am currently using the heater(cold ass canada)on high all the time.no ac equipped, 1985 2 door gm engine(v6 2.8)is god dammed oil getting into the prestone some how?or are my air ducts dirty?i have been running her since november,thought if there was dirt in the ducts,would have all came out by now.its my dd.went to the stealership,said they would flush the system for 300 bucks,well sorry but i told em he was a fing gearbox!so need some advice guys,i know you can help me!thanks dave:paperwork

You would have to explain to me, very slowly infact, how having even the smallest amount of "god damn oil" in your cooling system will make the inside of your Jeep dirty.

Prestone is Green, so why isn't the inside of your Jeep covered in Green dust?

Hmmmm...

LOL! I just read your other thread about Pensoil.

Troll on!

Last edited:
Oil getting into your coolant won't cause dust in the interior - the air that comes through the heater never directly touches the coolant. Plus, coolant/oil milkshake is kinda light brown.

You could always tape a piece of white paper to the heater ducts and see if it gets covered in soot. It also wouldn't hurt any to blow out the vents with some compressed air.

The coolant system will not have anything to do with soot, it is a sealed system. Do you have an exhaust leak? If bad enough the soot you are refurring to could be just that, exhaust soot. Do you live were alot of people have and use wood stoves to heat there homes, garages, workshops,etc? just a thought.

Might want to check the condition of your headliner. When the foam backing on the cloth starts to break down it'll sift through and coat the whole interior in fine grayish/black dust. Hit it with an open palm a few times and see if your hand gets covered in the same dust. Certainly took me by surprise on mine, mistook it for road dust till i took a few trips with the windows closed and still got covered in dust.

magimerlin,yes there are alot of wood burners here,and yes i do have an exhaust leak!bingo,thanks for the help!

michael q ,my headliner is finished,gonna go bang on it like you said! thanks

dave

Back