• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pennzoil...am i screwed

85xjproject

NAXJA Forum User
hi there just looked at oil recommendations on here and it looks like pennzoil is the worst thing to put in your motor...when i got my jeep i put the high mile pennzoil 5w30,did 3000 k,just changed it today with the same oil...am i killing my jeep with this oil?btw it is a 2.8l gm motor...any help guys?oh also put new pennzoil filter both times,and at 3k honestly,the oil was not too black.also jeepy has 235000 km on it thanks

dave

I bought my jeep with 200,000 miles on it and previous owner ran pennzoil. I started running Castrol GTX through it and changing it at 2500-3000miles and after about 5 oil changes it was much better. I kept seeing carbon less and less in the oil drain pan after each change. The biggest problem I had was the beather lines and pcv valve lines being plugged and causing preesure build up to push oil out seals. After cleaning those, I had a very dry (oil free) block.

Well, put it this way: If your oil is at 3000 miles and looks "clean" or "clear" when draining, theres a problem. Besides lubrication, the oil's main function is to clean the combustion by-products, other contaminants like adic's and dirt that may have found their way in that didn't get filtered, and hold them in suspension until the oil is changed. So, the blacker the oil when draining (after or near 3000+ miles) the better! It tells you the oil is doing its job. I would stop using pennzoil, it is not very good as far as a name brand oil goes. Their oil filters are no different from Fram, STP and Bosch, so you know their low quality. I would not freak out over the oil your using now, I would just change to a quality oil, like Valvoline or Valvoline Max-Life. Along with a higher quality filter like a Pure One, Mobil 1, Wix, Napa, Baldwin, you engine will be better off.

Maz said:
For your reference, my '89 (4.0L) ran on Penzoil and Fram filter for her first 270K miles before I knew any better :read:

Thats not surprising, I've seen engines last with QuakerState and Pennzoil. I think it really comes down to preventive maintenance, and taking care of the engine. But, that said, a neglected engine needs a different kind of care.

Back