• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Limited Slip for Powertrax on 8.8

Cipey

NAXJA Forum User
I saw a few posts around, that mentioned a little about what i want to do, but not exactly.

I'm running a 1997 Explorer 8.8 axle on my rig with 4.56 yukon gears. I left the factory limited slip/drip/grip installed when i did the changeover.

I have a Powertrax No Slip in the shop for this axle I want to instal myself. i don't know too much about these things, but am right to assume if its a LS Diff its an "OPEN Diff"? Is this is as simple as removing the LS and installing the Power Trax unit. Is that possible or is is there much more to it? If so, what do I need?

Thanks

Cipey

limited slip diff != open diff

You need a no-slip made for a 8.8 lsd diff.

If you want to sell the Powertrax send me a pm.

A open carrier No-slip wont work in a LS carrier,you need #xxxx-3128!

RCP Phx said:
A open carrier No-slip wont work in a LS carrier,you need #xxxx-3128!

I want to INSTALL the Powertrax and ditch the Ford Limited Slip, so basicly I need a new carrier for the powertrax no lip, right?

Cipey

Cipey said:
I want to INSTALL the Powertrax and ditch the Ford Limited Slip, so basicly I need a new carrier for the powertrax no lip, right?

Cipey

Well, you could either change to an open carrier, or get a no-slip that's made for a LS carrier.

Looks wise, a LS carrier, with all the guts in it, looks pretty much the same as an open carrier with all the guts in it. And after you wear out the LS, then yes, an LS is essentially an open carrier!! But, since the LS has to fit more junk in there, the inside, where the locker would go, isn't the same size.

mjma said:
Well, you could either change to an open carrier, or get a no-slip that's made for a LS carrier.

Looks wise, a LS carrier, with all the guts in it, looks pretty much the same as an open carrier with all the guts in it. And after you wear out the LS, then yes, an LS is essentially an open carrier!! But, since the LS has to fit more junk in there, the inside, where the locker would go, isn't the same size.

ok i get it...the LS carrier is not a normal open carrier, i have to pick up a locker of an LS Carrier!! Got it. Sorry to the dude asking about the powertrax, one of the guys at the shop already called dibs on it, sorry.

Cipey

Back