• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM tire pressure?

NewToJeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all I just purchased a 2000 Classic!! I love it, but it's got a couple small issues...

One that I was wondering about was the stock tire pressures for my 225/70/16 inch tires. It seems that when I open the driver's door, the pressures listed there are only for the 15 inch wheels. The 16's arent listed.

I just want to get this baby up and running the way she's supposed to be stock, then take it from there! Thanks in advance guys(or gals) for any help you can send my way.

The reccomended tire pressure/load rating/speed rating are peinted on the sidewall of the tire, not the vehicle.

It really depends on the tire, you have to fine tune the pressure to get it just right for wear. 32-34 PSI is a good starting point. I fine tune from there, watch the outside edge of the front tire and see how it wears, watch the center of the rears. If it wears a little too much on the edge a little more pressure, if it wears more in the middle, a little less pressure.
It changes with different tire brands. I rotate my tires yearly.
I'm running my 225/70/16 BFG AT's at 32.5 PSI right now and am thinking of upping it to 33. It also depends on what kind of driving you do, a lot of highway driving in the summer and you may want to drop a pound or so.
My recommendations are for best wear and not necessarily anything else. I always check my tires cold, so the pressure check is as close as practical to the same every time. Cold pressure tests do change with the ambient temperature some, so exact isn't really an option.

Back