• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pls correct me if i'm wrong, noob ?

buster cherry

NAXJA Forum User
my 91 jeep's top half has to be done. to minimize down time i'm going to pull a head from a 95, have that one done, then swap them out. i will then be able to swap them out in a weekend.(DD) am i correct in that i can use a 4.0l 95 head on a 4.0l 91 jeep. any tips are welcomed thanks

Yes, the 91-95 XJs all used the same 7120 head, so it should be an exact match.

A head swap is pretty easy, but do get a manual and follow the steps closely. Use the rocker arms and push rods from the 91 head in the exact same orientation unless you plan the install new lifters and push rods. If you don't have a good torque wrench, buy or rent one and pay close attention to the correct torque sequence.

I also found it easier to do removing / reinstalling the head with the exhaust/intake manifolds still attached. It makes for heavier lifts, but then you dont have to worry about getting the correct torque sequence on the intake / exhaust bolts... which is an even bigger PITA.

Pulling the head and reinstalling it was alot easier then i thought it was going to be. Also, since you torn down this far, might as well at least change your drivers side motor mount.

at what point does the head need to be done? mine has a quick rattle on startup and then again at approx 2700 - 3000 rpms. at that point it seems to slip, no power loss, but no (i guess) torque either kinda stops pulling. otherwise i have no issues truck runs great and smooth. 1 other thing i have not expeirenced any of these issues when out wheeling. thanks again

over the weekend i removed valve cover and cleaned it. wow talk about build up, anyway, after putting it back on the start up noise last all of 1/2 second if at all, the higher rpm noise has gone away on normal driving. i do have it at about 4000 but no power loss. what if anything should i be concerned about.i will be replacing the oil pressure sending unit this weekend. the gauge is pegged to the right. thanks again

Back