• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pump kits?

Muad'Dib

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to have my oil pan down again to replace my oil pan gasket for the second time...

Last time i did it, i just pulled and cleaned the pump. I'm not having any real issues with oil pressure. Running 10w30 Mobil 1 Synthetic. 20PSI hot idle, 30-40 PSI cruising. Stock gauge goes above 80psi when flooring it. Lately however the gauge is really jumping around when at idle. Moving as much as +-10PSI. Say I'm sitting there idling with a hot engine, it will jump back and forth between 30-40 PSI (inconsistently). Didn't do this before... Seems like it could be the pump since the oil and filter have maybe 300 miles on them right now... (Sender and gauge are new)

Anyway, I'm not too majorly concerned with whats going on above, but since I'm going to have the pan down again, i figure its a good time as any to get a new pump also. However at the moment my budget is thin, and it would save my bacon if i didn't have too mess with the pump.
My local schucks has what is called a "oil pump kit" that basically looks like a rebuild kit for the oil pump:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CLE&MfrPartNumber=6011313&PartType=1271&PTSet=A

I was mainly wondering if anyone has done this before? If its worth it or if it does nothing. Its definitely cheaper then getting a new pump...

If your gauge is jumping around, replace the sensor first. It's not an uncommon failure.

Muad'Dib said:
As i said, the sender and gauge are both new ..

Anyway, i would prefer feedback on the rebuild kit rather than anything else.

There is nothing wrong with a rebuild kit.You should check wear in the housing because if thats out of spec the rebuild kit wont help.
gear to pump wall .002-.004 if above that replace the pump as a unit
but if you have the aluminum housing pump in your engine you should just replace it.

hope that helps

I had a shop drop my oil pan and change my main seal, while he was in there he told me I should change my oil pump too. I told him that it was usually unwise to start changing out parts like that on a motor with over 200,000 mi. He said he would agree, save for my oil pump is aluminum and might call it quits at any time! Any how, he put a new steel pump in and my '89 4.0 has now got 333,363 miles. Just food for thought.

Back