• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to look for in modified XJ for purchase

Blackash132

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, So I haven't been into the Jeepin in a while since I had to sell my XJ. But the Wife is selling her car so she can have my WK and I get to have an XJ again. Can somone run over some stuff with me to look for in my new XJ? I'm looking at a few and one already has a Rubicon Express Lift that looks nice but I need to know some things to look for on it to make sure I'm not getting Hosed. it has 182xxx miles which we all know isn't bad for the 4.0 but I need help. THANKS!

Last edited:
Lots of things to look for. Start with the mods: RE makes good stuff, stick with ones that have a quality, reputable lift kit on them. How about tires? Is it a brand and size you like? Not a deal-breaker, but notable. How about gears and lockers? Did they upgrade either when they threw on the lift and tires? Other mods, such as bumpers, sliders and skids. Are they quality ones? Do they show signs of abuse? Take a flashlight and crawl around underneath, is the indercarriage thrashed, crossmember bent, fluid leaking from every gearbox?

Finally, test drive it. Does it ride and handle well? Is it underpowered? Does the owner have any mainntenance or upgrade records or receipts?

Go look at several that fit within the parameters of what you're looking for, you'll get a good idea of a decent deal on a trail Xj versus someone trying to offload their junk.

thanks. I'll primarily be driving it to and from work @ 10 miles each way. I'm worried about the mileage. 180000 I know isn't bad but it will be the highest mileage car I've ever had. How many of you guys have that amt or more and can reassure me? It seems to be a great deal (although I haven't looked at it yet) at $3800. pictures look great of the outside.

Blackash132 said:
thanks. I'll primarily be driving it to and from work @ 10 miles each way. I'm worried about the mileage. 180000 I know isn't bad but it will be the highest mileage car I've ever had. How many of you guys have that amt or more and can reassure me? It seems to be a great deal (although I haven't looked at it yet) at $3800. pictures look great of the outside.

If you search, there is a thread recently (sometime in the last few months) that quoted how many miles you could get on original drivetrains. My last trail rig I abused badly and it had 240K on it when I sold it. It still ran great, the body was trashed though. You are going to be lucky to find an XJ with alot less miles than that, considering they have not been made in 7 years.
Good Luck.

That's Great!
this makes me feel a lot better. on a daily basis I kick myself for getting rid of my 2000 with 70xxx miles. Oh well everything happens for a reason.

Back